What is Bronchitis
Bronchitis simply means an inflammation of the bronchus, the windpipe. This is usually caused by infection (viral, bacterial, fungal, etc) or allergy or both. This condition is widely prevalent throughout the world and is a frequent cause of absenteeism from school and work.
Bronchitis seems to be slightly more common in women as compared to males though the difference is not significant. It is more common amongst the younger age-group as compared to the adult population.
Causes of Bronchitis:
- Allergy (environmental and
industrial pollutants, pollen, etc.)
- Infections (viral, bacterial, fungus
- Exposure to temperature changes (extreme cold, change from cold to heat and vise versa, etc.)
Symptoms of Bronchitis:
Cough is the most common symptom. The cough may be either dry (without mucus) or
wet (with mucus), depending on the cause and severity. Allergic cough is often
dry while infective cough has a tendency to have mucus production. The symptoms
of Bronchitis may be listed as under:
- Cough (with or without mucus)
- Chest pain,
- Difficulty in breathing. (dyspnea)
- Throat pain
- Nose congestion,
- Body ache, joint pain, tiredness (usually due to infection).
Brocnhitis Types: Acute, Recurrent and Chronic bronchitis
A single episode of bronchitis which
may resolve within less than three weeks may be called as an Acute Bronchitis.
If there is an underlying cause of
lowered immunity, tendency to catch infection or if there are factors such as
Smoking and environmental pollution; there may be a tendency to have Recurrent
Those patients who have lowered immunity and / or are exposed to maintaining factors such as smoking, pollutants (pneumoconiosis, excessive alcohol consumption and exposure to cold and draught, etc.) may present with Chronic Bronchitis, whereby the patients may have symptoms of Bronchitis for long time, as long as two months to over years.
Suggestion about homeopathic treatment:
Homeopathic treatment is very strongly suggested during for all forms and stages of Bronchitis.
Homeopathy has proven treatment which helps towards:
- Relieving nasty cough
- Controlling and treating the underlying tendency to catch cold and cough
- Improving immunity and general vitality
- Reducing the severity, frequency and duration in case of Recurrent bronchitis
- Helping allergic as well as infective cases of bronchitis
Homoeopathy is very strongly recommended for all stages and variants of bronchitis.
Case studies of Bronchitis