Are you frustrated due to the aching joints? You might be suffering from arthritis. Arthritis affects plenty of people throughout the world. Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are common types of this condition. Arthritis is, mainly, the inflammation of joints that makes you suffer from the pain and swelling and causes more pain on the movement. You may feel relieved after resting. The main joints that are affected are the knees and the finger joints. Other joints, such as the elbow or shoulder, might also get affected in the case of rheumatoid arthritis.
Some foods can make your arthritis worse. The consumption of certain foods might end up hurting your joints. The pain is a result of inflammation, and many foods may cause inflammation. You will be surprised to learn which foods make your joints ache. Keep reading to learn all about it
7 Foods To Avoid If You Have Arthritis:
Here are some foods which you shouldn’t consume if you have arthritis:
- Saturated fats: Saturated fats are found in red meat, butter, and cheese. Saturated fats trigger inflammation in the fat tissues. This particular type of food is dangerous to the heart and is known to worsen arthritic pain. The other issue with red meat is that it contains advanced glycation end products (AGEs), and AGEs cause inflammation. When food is cooked at high temperature and grilling, boiling, cooking, and roasting lead to the formation of AGEs. High levels of AGEs are associated with inflammation-related diseases, such as diabetes, heart disease, kidney failure, and Alzheimer’s, thereby affecting the body adversely. Make sure that you have the correct foods to rectify this.
- Omega-6 fatty acids: You might have heard of omega-3 fatty acids which are super important to control inflammation. Omega-6 fatty acids, on the other hand, can trigger your body to produce chemicals that can cause inflammation. You will find omega-6 in corn sunflower, safflower, soy, and vegetable oils and products that contain oil. Omega-6 rich oils include canola, flaxseed, walnut, and olive oils. Trans fats and commercial frying oil and trans fats comprise omega-6 fatty acids. Eliminate these for extra protection as these oils can cause inflammation of the joints.
- Alcohol: Alcohol is very dangerous to the human body and causes inflammation of the joints. Alcohol has an interesting track record when it comes to inflammation of the joints. If you already have arthritis, alcohol interacts badly with anti-inflammatory medications. Certain forms of arthritis are worsened by drinking alcohol. Moderating your alcohol intake is essential and important to control arthritic pain.
- Processed foods: Processed foods contain a lot of ingredients that cause inflammation. One of the worst ingredients is trans fats or hydrogenated oils. Systemic inflammation can result due to partially hydrogenated oils, and it contributes to dozens of diseases from heart disease to cancer. Read labels carefully as even a bit of it is bad for you. Trans fats are used to make food shelf-stable so you will find them in bread, baked goods, snacks, such as potato chips, microwave popcorn, fried food, refrigerator food, non-dairy cream, and margarine.
- Salt: Your body needs salt to operate but excess salt is bad for hypertension, which contributes to strokes, kidney disease, and heart attacks. Excess of salt also causes calcium loss, thereby leading to osteoporosis. Salt causes cellular inflammation and that hurts the joints. The simple way to cut salt intake is to stop eating highly salted processed foods and fried food. Also, stop adding extra salt to your food. It will take time to get used to less salt but your entire body will be healthier, particularly if you have arthritis.
- Sugar: Refined sugar should be cut down. Sugar causes your body to release cytokines and it causes inflammation. Excess sugar contributes to a lot of diseases because of cytokines, which can cause increased arthritis pain. Sugar has about 56 different names. Look for maltose, dextrose, and fructose that are some common names that are listed in the label. Use artificial sweeteners cautiously. It should not be consumed as it is not good for health and causes an increase in blood sugar levels. They are associated with various ailments. They should be completely avoided in your daily food intake. Read the label carefully before going for artificial sweeteners as they cause inflammation. Avoid artificial sweeteners totally.
- Refined grains: Refined grains include white flour and white rice. Their intake makes the sugar level spike, thereby increasing the level of inflammation markers. In addition to this, if you are gluten-sensitive, wheat products may increase joint pains. If you happen to suffer from rashes, fatigue, joint pain, or migraines after eating wheat, you may be sensitive to gluten. Refined grains are easily digested and spike blood sugar rapidly. Avoid everything made from white flour. Eating whole grains reduces the inflammation of joints. So, replace refined grains with whole grains.
So, to sum it up, everything you like as junk food is making your arthritis worse. Conventional medication can be very hard on your liver. Eliminating foods that cause inflammation in your body can help reduce arthritis pain. It’s a matter of replacing bad food with good food. You will find tasty choices that can fight inflammation. You will be healthier and experience a lot lesser pain if you eliminate inflammation from your body. Arthritis is a degenerative disease that advances as age increases so you probably can’t reverse it but you can slow down the progression of the disease by eliminating unhealthy food from your day-to-day life.