Are you experiencing pain in rectum or discomfort while sitting? Have you developed swelling, itching, or discomfort in your anal region? If yes, you might be suffering from piles. So, to regulate your pain and discomfort resulting due to piles, you need to keep an eye on what you eat. Avoiding the consumption of certain foods can help you minimize the discomfort. And, if you are wondering what exactly piles are, what its causes are, and what foods you should avoid to regulate piles, think no further. Keep reading to learn all about it.
What Are Piles?
Piles, also known as Hemorrhoids, are swollen and inflamed veins in the rectum and anus that cause discomfort and bleeding.
Causes of Piles:
Usually, piles may occur due to strained bowel movements, during pregnancy, and due to obesity.
Discomfort is the prominent and common symptom of piles, and you may experience it particularly during the bowel movements or when sitting. Other symptoms of piles include itching and bleeding. The severity of piles also depends on whether its external or internal.
A high-fiber diet can be effective along with stool softeners (that you should avoid using regularly). In some cases, a medical procedure to remove them, most commonly External Grade III and IV Piles, may be needed to obtain relief.
The occurrence and prevention of piles have a lot more to do with the foods we take. So, it is extremely important to avoid food causing constipation i.e. foods having low-fiber content. So, today, I shall brief you with the foods which you should avoid in order to reduce your discomfort resulting due to piles or prevent it.
We treat patients from the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get an expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.
7 Foods To Avoid When Suffering From Piles:
- Processed Foods: In this era of Junk food and lack of time to manage daily routine work and prepare food at home, people prefer ready-made food over home-made food. Junk foods, such as French fries, burgers, and pizza can make your Piles worse, and, hence, you should avoid them.
- Spicy Foods: Prefer lesser chilies and highly seasoned foods if you are constipated and have Piles. Avoiding spicy foods won’t worsen your suffering.
- Meat: You need to avoid red meat as it is hard to digest. Prefer Vegetarian over Non-vegetarian Diet.
- Caffeine: Diehard coffee lovers should try to avoid coffee as Caffeine content can cause irritation and dehydration that may further worsen the condition.
- Alcohol: In order to avoid alcohol-caused constipation and dehydration, it is better to lessen the intake of alcohol. Occasional alcohol consumption is totally okay.
- Cheese: Excessive consumption of cheese can again increase your suffering. So, restrict the intake of cheese to once in 15-20 days.
- Laxatives: As we all know that the long-term use of Laxatives may create a dependency on them. So, try to avoid the use of Laxatives on a daily basis. You can either try home remedies or opt for Homeopathic treatment.
So, if any time you happen to suffer from piles, make sure that you avoid having these foods that may worsen your condition. Also, opt for homeopathic treatment for piles without a second thought to obtain relief.
- Written by Dr. Kinjal S., Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah