Psoriasis is one of the most common auto immune skin diseases (disease where your immunity attacks your own body). And talking about scalp psoriasis, it is a common variant among the various types of psoriasis.
It can vary from very mild thin flakes sometimes mistaken as dandruff, to very severe thick flakes which are associated with bleeding and severe scratching. This may gradually spread over to the forehead, behind ears or nape of neck.
It can at times be very annoying and embarrassing when it comes to itching and flaky scalp each day. It is one of the challenging conditions to treat. Doctors can give you certain local creams/ lotions as the first line of treatment, but it is important to understand that an internal derangement cannot get cured by external application. Symptomatic relief is definitely possible with these local applications, but not long term cure.
Caring for scalp psoriasis
- Moisturizing the scalp– you can start application of essential oils or gels (like Alovera) to soften the skin which has become harsh and rough.
- Be very gentle when applying any cream. Do not rub or scrub while shampooing. Doing so will in turn increase the problem more.
- Avoid application of any chemicals on the scalp like hair dye and gels. It can irritate the skin further.
- Tar shampoos and anti dandruff shampoos have been proven to give temporary relief and may be used with the homeopathic treatment as well.
- Application of olive oil and intake also seems to make healing process faster in some patients.
- Do not blow dry your hair as it can worsen the dryness you are already fighting with.
- The exact cause for this skin ailment is not known, but stress is one thing which definitely flares up your psoriasis. Research published in the Journal of Dermatology proved that patients with persistently high levels of stressors have lowered levels of a hormone called cortisol. Thus they had an increase in the disease severity of their psoriasis. So keeping stress at bay will help you sail in a quite better way towards cure.
- Eat the right kind of food. We eat to live healthy, we don’t live to eat. Avoid spicy food as it is traditionally known to increase “the heat” in the body leading to an increased inflammatory response in body.
- Foods rich in Vit D and Vit E are said to help quicken the healing process in the body
- Switching from a high-protein diet to a low-protein, largely vegetarian diet has another advantage. Grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables are packed with fiber, and fiber are said to escort psoriasis-triggering chemicals out of the intestines.
These little tips will help you tailor your daily routine to keep itching and flaking to a minimum in your scalp psoriasis. Just small things when kept in mind, take us to a happier and healthier life.
“Ill-health of body or of mind, is defeat.
Health alone is victory.
Let all men, if they can manage it, contrive to be healthy.”
Dr Rajesh Shah’s homeopathic medicines have helped multiple patients of scalp psoriasis. If you too are suffering from this disease, do feel free to get in touch with us today at Lifeforce Homeopathy.