Prostate gland is a walnut-sized gland located near the urinary bladder in men. The prostate secretes fluid that nourishes and protects sperm. During ejaculation, the prostate squeezes this fluid into the urethra, and it’s expelled with sperm as semen.
Prostatitis is swelling and inflammation of the prostate gland. Prostatitis often causes symptoms like painful or difficult urination, pain in the groin, pelvic area or genitals and sometimes flu-like symptoms.
Prostatitis affects men of all ages but is more common in men of 50 years of age or younger. Prostatitis can be caused by a number of different things and it may be acute or chronic. Antibiotics are used to treat acute bacterial prostatitis but if bacteria aren’t eliminated with antibiotics because they “hide” in the prostate, prostatitis may recur or be difficult to treat; this is called chronic bacterial prostatitis.
Recurring bacterial infections in the prostate gland, results in swelling, inflammation, and frequent urinary tract infections (UTIs). In this condition even when the primary symptoms of infection have been treated, bacteria may continue to thrive in the prostate gland. Read more about causes of prostatitis.
What are the routes of infection in chronic bacterial prostatitis?
- Ascending urethral infection
- Back flow of infected urine into prostatic ducts
- Migration of rectal infections to prostate gland
- Infection through blood: infections in other parts of the body can sometimes be the source of the bacteria.
- Catheter tubes used to drain the urinary bladder,
- Trauma to the urinary system
What are the causative organisms commonly responsible for infection?
Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus species, Staphylococcus species, Enterococcus species, Trichomonas species, Candida species, Chlamydia trachomatis, Ureaplasma urealyticum, Mycoplasma hominis etc.
What are the symptoms of chronic bacterial prostatitis?
Chronic bacterial prostatitis is a condition in which there are recurrent episodes of prostatitis. Frequency, intensity and duration of the episodes vary from person to person and it depends on extents of infection.
- Pain in the lower back, between the genitals and anus, above the pubic bone, and in the testicles
- Blood in the urine or semen
- Fever and chills
- Pain or burning with urination
- Pain with ejaculation
- Pain with bowel movements
- Foul-smelling urine
- A frequent and urgent need to urinate
- Excessive urination during the night (nocturia)
Between the episodes or flair ups of prostatitis person may experience mild pain and difficulty while urination.
Read about types of Prostatitis
How to diagnose?
- A digital rectal examination (DRE) is used to determine if the prostate gland is tender or swollen
- Expressed prostatic secretion (EPS) microscopy, post-massage urine culture, or semen culture is obtained to confirm presence of bacterial infection.
- Blood level of prostate specific antigen in high in patients suffering with chronic bacterial prostatitis
What are the treatment options?
In conventional mode of treatment:
- Antibiotics like Trimithoprim Sulpha, Ciprofloxacin Levofloxacin are frequently used medicines. Usually they are given in high doses for an extended period, often four or more weeks.
- Alpha-blocker may be prescribed to relax the muscles that control the bladder. These may relieve symptoms of urgency, hesitancy or dribbling.
- Pain relievers, anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants may help with pain and muscle spasms.
- Warm baths to relieve pain and inflammation.
- Drinking adequate water
- Using stool softeners to avoid constipation
- Avoiding alcohol and caffeine
For more information, read about Prostatitic complications.
How homeopathy treats chronic bacterial prostatitis effectively?
- In patients of Chronic bacterial prostatitis, the homeopathy medicines help reduce the frequency intensity and duration of the episodes of recurrent prostatitis.
- It helps to reduce the inflammation of the gland and surrounding structures.
- The pain, frequency and urgency of urination associated with this condition usually subside with homeopathic medication.
- The problem of resistance of bacteria as faced after using antibiotics frequently, do not exist with homeopathic mode of treatment as homeopathic medicines enhance body’s own immune system to fight against recurrent infections. Thus it prevents the prostate gland from further damage.
- Homeopathic medicines when taken under the guidance of expert helps in reducing the dependency on antibiotics in very safe and gentle way.
- Research based medicines of Dr. Shah are highly effective in treating chronic bacterial prostatitis and thus improving the quality of life of the patient.
To know more about how homeopathic treatment will help you leave us your contact details below. Alternately you can give us a call on +91-22-66888888 or write in to us at email@example.com
Dr Aparna Hingmire, Associate doctor to Dr Rajesh Shah, Life Force Team
[box type=”note” ]We treat patients from USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.[/box]