Acne is known as pimples in the common language. Almost everyone suffers from acne at least once in their lifetime. Acne is nothing but the red eruptions caused by the blocking of pores of the skin due to the overactivity of sebaceous glands or the oil glands.
Acne is mostly seen in adolescents. As in this age, there are dynamic hormone activities in the body leading to excessive oil secretion by the sebaceous glands.
The face is the most common site where acne usually appears. Acne can also be seen on the shoulders and back of an individual.
Causes of developing acne:
Overactive sebaceous glands resulting in oily skin, excessive production of androgens in both boys and girls during puberty, clogging of the skin pores due to dirt and an unhealthy diet play a very important role in the formation of acne.
Overindulgence in greasy, spicy, caffeinated food and junk food gives rise to the formation of acne.
10 best foods for acne
There are some food items that are found beneficial and reduce the chances of the development of acne on the skin.
- Avocado: This fruit has a high amount of Vitamin E and Vitamin C. Both these Vitamins are very good for the overall glow and the health of the skin. It moisturizes the skin and helps in the reduction of acne formation.
- Papaya: Papaya is a rich source of Vitamin A and beta-carotene. Eating papaya regularly makes the skin very smooth and supple. It is also known as an extremely good cleanser of the digestive system. It helps in flushing out the waste and toxins from the body and rejuvenating the skin.
- Nuts: Walnuts, almonds, peanuts, etc are rich in minerals like zinc, selenium, magnesium, iron, and omega 3 fatty acids. These all are very useful for good skin health.
- Lemon: Lemon juice is very rich in Vitamin c. Regular consumption of lemon juice can flush out toxins and waste from the body and Vitamin C helps in building and maintaining healthy skin.
- Green tea: Regular consumption of green tea provides the body with a lot of antioxidants. Green tea is also known to reduce free radicals and flush the system of harmful toxins. Application of a lotion containing green tea reduces the oil production from the sebaceous gland and thus helps in reducing the chances of acne formation on the skin.
- Yogurt or curd: Yogurt or curd is a Probiotic. This means they contain live bacteria which are very useful for our digestive systems or intestine. They help in reducing the inflammation in the body and thereby reduce the chance of acne production. They also help in proper digestion and the removal of toxins and wastes from the body.
- Red grapes: This fruit is a very rich source of natural antioxidants which help in cleansing the system and bringing back the glow on the skin. Red grapes are found useful in reducing acne, psoriasis, and eczema.
- Apples: Apples contain a chemical called pectin. Pectin is very useful for skin and gut. So, an apple a day keeps both acne and doctor away.
- Water: This is the most important natural cleansing agent provided by the nature. Drinking at least 8-10 glasses of water ensures proper cleansing of the body. It flushes off the toxins from the system and gives the skin a radiant and healthy look.
- Flax seeds: flax seeds contain a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids. Eating a spoonful of flax seeds every day reduces the inflammation of the skin and reduces the chances of acne formation.
This is all about the ten best foods for acne. These foods not only help in reducing the chances of acne formation but also help in maintaining overall good health of the body. Ultimately, you are what you eat.