People in today’s high paced life have developed altered diet schedules and habits which are affecting their health adversely and leading to many lifestyle-related diseases, such as Obesity, Diabetes, etc. Staying healthy in the present times is becoming essential. The one thing that can be helpful along with the exercise in maintaining health is adopting the correct diet plan. There are many types of diet plans which not only help in weight loss but also help you to maintain good health. Today, we will see different types of diet plans which are followed all over the world.
We treat patients from the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get an expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.
You need to be careful before selecting any diet plan. Every diet plan has a few pros and cons, and one diet plan may not be suitable for everyone. Consult an expert to choose the diet plan that suits your requirements.
1) Paleo diet: Many people across different countries adopt this diet plan. This diet is focused on weight reduction. It is quite similar to what our ancestors followed before the development of agriculture. The main restriction in this diet is on the intake of dairy products, grains, sugar, and processed food. A person can take vegetables, fruits, a protein-rich diet, nuts, etc. Paleo diet helps in losing weight. It is also helpful in reducing the risk of high cholesterol, heart disease, high BP, etc.
2) Vegan Diet: This diet helps in weight reduction and helps us develop protection from many diseases. In a vegan diet, all animal-based foods, such as meat, eggs, dairy products, honey, and saturated oil are restricted. Only foods with plant origin are allowed. So, people can have vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains, cereal, unsaturated oils, and soy-based dairy supplements.
This diet is helpful for weight management and in reducing the risk of diabetes, heart diseases, high BP, cancer, kidney ailments, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, etc.
3) Intermittent fasting: This is also a very popular diet plan and helps in the reduction of weight.
In this diet plan, eating and fasting intermittently is practiced to restrict calorie intake. There are different ways to do it.
A.Take meal any time in 8 hours and then fast continuously for 16 hours to restrict the calories.
B.Two non-consecutive days in a week for full-day fasting and, for 5 days, no restriction in diet.
Some other cycles may also be used to follow a fasting and non-fasting period.
4) Low carbohydrates diet: This diet plan is also well-accepted and advised by a few fitness instructors. This diet is more popular among women. Most often, it is followed by the objective of weight loss. In this diet, there is a restriction on the high carbohydrates in the diet. There is a limitation on carbohydrate intake. It may be 20-150gm per day. The reason for reducing the carbs in the diet is to use more fat in the body to get energy instead of carbohydrates, which are supposed to be the major source of energy for the body.
As we have already informed that every diet plan has its pros and cons. This type of diet plan is not advisable for athletes who have a high requirement of carbs to get enough energy for high-intensity exercises.
5) Blood group-based diet: A few doctors are now advising this type of diet. This diet is also accepted for reducing weight and, in some cases, it has been observed to help in treating a few skin diseases. In this diet plan, the diet is based on blood groups.
Blood group O should avoid dairy products and have a protein-rich diet. Individuals with this blood group should focus on having protein abundant foods in the diet.
Blood group A is recommended to have a vegetarian diet. Individuals with blood group A should avoid meat and dairy products. They should take vegetables, fruits, and some alternate supplements of dairy products, such as tofu, soymilk, etc.
Similarly, blood groups AB and B also have their dietary restrictions.
Blood group B should avoid dairy products.
6) Keto diet: This diet focuses on high fat, low carbohydrate, and adequate protein intake. This diet is identical to the Atkins diet. It helps reduce belly fat. It is observed that, on average, a person can reduce 2 to 4 kgs of weight in a month by following this diet. This diet is also recommended by experts in some medical conditions, like epilepsy.
7) Detox diet: The detox diet helps eliminate toxins from the body, improve your health, and reduce weight. In this diet plan, the focus is on increasing the intake of liquid, juices, fruits, vegetables, sugar-free flavored tea, etc., and reduce the intake of salt, alcohol, and high-calorie food. Take proper sleep. This diet is planned in many ways, such as a 3-day detoxification plan, a 7-day detoxification plan, and more. This diet is also helpful in reducing weight and keeping us fit. But, it is observed that it is not useful for long-term weight management.
These are a few diet plans which are well-accepted. Besides these, many other diet plans are also in use.
Friends, as we have already discussed, every diet has its pros and cons so whenever you are planning to choose any diet plan, first understand the type of your body and the objective of choosing a particular diet plan. Later, choose the diet plan carefully. If in doubt, take the help of an expert.
-Written by Dr. Priyanka Agarwal, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah.