Heard about the bollywood personalities – Amitabh Bachchan, Dharmendra, Shahrukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Parveen Babi, Jiah Khan? We all love them isn’t it? But did you know, they all suffered from Depression?
According to World Health Organization’s 2004 report, suicide is the second commonest cause of death in persons aged 20 to 30 yrs from many countries. Depressive disorder was a major factor in around 50% of these deaths.
Serious, but Undiagnosed:
Although effective treatments are available, depression often goes undiagnosed and undertreated. It should be borne in mind that depressive disorders have significant potential to cause sickness and even death. It is also associated with high rates of alcohol and substance misuse and has considerable social impact on relationships, families and productivity.
There remains an innate resistance to consider medicinal intervention for emotional problems despite knowing their efficiency.
How do we know a person is suffering from Depressive disorder?
Criteria to be fulfilled for a positive diagnosis:
The symptoms should be
- Present for at least 2 weeks and represent a change from normal.
- Are not secondary to the effects of drug/alcohol misuse, medication, a medical disorder, or a state after loved ones death.
- May cause significant distress or/and disturbance of social, occupational, or general functioning.
The below Symptoms may be observed:
- Depressed mood that persists most of the day, almost every day with very little variation, lack of responsiveness to changes in circumstances. It can be subjective (feels sad or empty) or as observed by others (might appear tearful).
- There may be variation in the mood with the mood being bad in the morning and then improving as the day grows. Marked decreased or lack of pleasure or interest in all or mostly all activities for most of the day, nearly every single day.
- Feeling worthless or excessively or inappropriately guilty (which may not be true), not just self blame game or guilt about being ill.
- Change in weight – either a loss of weight when not dieting or a gain in weight associated with increased or decreased appetite.
- Disturbed sleep – unusually waking up in the middle of night or excessive sleep
- Repeated thoughts of suicide or death which may or may not be acted upon.
- Fatigue or loss of energy.
- Reduced sex drive.
- Abnormal agitation or retardation observable by others.
- Decreased ability to think or concentrate or indecisiveness.
The cause of depression is usually unknown. Often, various factors like psychological, genetic, and environmental factors are involved in combination in the beginning of a depressive disorder.
Homeopathic Treatment for Depression:
Homeopathic medicines offer an excellent scope in all the stages of Depression, especially, the early stages. Homeopathy can bring significant relief in various symptoms of depression.
Homeopathy goes to the root cause of depression, and hence the treatment is aimed at the underlying causes.
The results achieved from homeopathic medicines can be amplified with supportive measures like psychotherapy and counseling.
Patients at Lifeforce Homoeopathy have found great relief with Dr Shah’s patented homoeopathic medicines. To know more, leave us your contact details below and one of our doctors will get in touch with you.