Lichen planus is a chronic disease which affects the skin, mouth, scalp, nails, and genitals. It is a painful and disturbing condition as it causes itching which can be unbearable sometimes. Usually, individuals suffering from lichen planus end up visiting a conventional doctor for quick relief.
But it is a known fact that some conventional medicines like antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medicines etc actually trigger lichen planus. But in some extensive cases, individuals have no option but to take some or the other allopathic medication. At such situations when you are in dilemma home remedies come to your rescue and help you in easing symptoms like itching, burning and last but not the least getting rid of those ugly looking black scars which are left after healing. Let us see some readily available goodies in your kitchen which you can use and prevent yourself from taking conventional medicines, and trust me they really good.
- Turmeric– Turmeric is a famous herb which is known to have anti-inflammatory properties. A recent study shows that its active principle curcumin is shown to have immune modulatory effects. Since lichen planus is autoimmune disease it becomes important that the immunity should be upto the mark so as to fight back the disease more effectively. Local application of turmeric on lichen planus lesions or boiled turmeric water used for gargling in cases of oral lichen planus helps in supporting the treatment. It reduces the local inflammation and soothes that area, thereby accelerating the healing process.
- Oats– These are one of the power foods which will be readily available in those health conscious freaks. You know the benefits of eating oats, but did you know that they also help treat lichen planus? Yes, it is true. Having an oat infused bath will help you get rid away of that skin irritation. Mixing oats in warm water and applying the smooth paste on the lichenoid lesions will keep itching away thereby settling the inflammation. This should be done on a regular basis to get the desired effect.
- Cold compression– using ice application on the affected areas helps minimizing the inflammation. Creating a cold compress by wrapping up ice in a napkin or towel and keeping it on lesions for 5- 10 minutes will relieve the itching and burning. Follow it with the application of a moisturizer like Vaseline.
- Aloe Vera– Did you know that the small little green plant outside your window has so many properties. It can do wonders for health and so is for lichen planus. Local application of Aloe Vera extract can soothe your skin and help get you rid of those ugly looking pigmented patches. It also improves the skin texture.
- Ginger– All of us use ginger in some of the other cooking. Why not use it for our health and general well being too. Ginger has an astringent property and can be useful in controlling the spread of lichen planus. The ginger juice can be applied locally and can also be taken internally for better results.
- Potato slices– Potatoes is a famous natural bleach. It lightens and brightens up the skin within no time on regular use. Dip potato slices in cold water and gently massage on the dark lichenoid spots. Using these on daily basis especially at night will help lighten the ugly dark spots.
So why buy expensive cosmetics and go for chemical peels when you have your natural cosmetic store just in your garden or in your kitchen. All that you should know is the benefits of using these readily available remedies. Correct and prompt usage of the same will save your time, energy and pocket too.
Related Article: Lichen Planus Precautions
Above all, wearing skin friendly and breathable fabrics like cotton, avoiding excess of sun exposure, managing stress, adequate hydration, moisturizing your skin daily and avoiding spicy foods are the other keys to lichen planus recovery.
Homeopathy is one natural aid towards complete recovery of lichen planus. Opt for the treatment at the earliest for a quick recovery. To know more in detail you may call our doctors on +91-22-66888888 or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Written by Dr. Kanchan, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah, Life Force team.