Diet in Hepatitis C
Hepatitis is the inflammation of the liver caused by viruses. The cause of spread of different types of Hepatitis is different with each variety Hepatitis C spreads through coming in contact with infected blood as in blood transfusion, medical and nursing staff coming in contact with blood during gynecological or surgical procedures etc.
Diet in Hepatitis C: Diet plays a very important role when the liver is not working at its best as in Hepatitis.
Here are the diet tips given for the patients of Hepatitis C.
Food items which are allowed for the Hepatitis C patients
- Take plenty of fruits and vegetables. Fruit juices can also be taken. Fruits provide necessary antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to the body. They also play an important role in detoxifying the body by removing the harmful wastes from our body.
- Prefer food items containing whole grains like oats, brown rice and barley etc.
- Green vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, spinach and fenugreek, either boiled or made with very little oil.
- Beans, legumes, tofu etc.
- Egg white (not the yolk), fish and skinless chicken.
- Lime juice
- Plenty of water to remain hydrated and energized.
Food items which are not allowed for Hepatitis C patients.
- Foods those are rich in saturated fats like butter, full cream milk. Dairy products such as yogurt, cheese etc. made from full cream milk.
- Foods with high sugar content like butter cookies, pastries, cakes and other sweetened products.
- Caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee.
- Alcohol is a strict ‘NO’ for the hepatitis patients.
- Fried food items like potato chips, and other fried snacks like vada, samosa etc. are not allowed.
- Such patients should also avoid having chutneys and raw salads at roadside eateries or hotels. Because they are the raw food items. If raw food items are not washed properly, they can infect the person with typhoid, gastroenteritis, Hepatitis A etc. Patients of Hepatitis C will have more burdens on the liver if he is additionally infected by above disease conditions.
- Vegetables made in spicy and fatty gravies.
- Mayonnaise, sour cream, salad dressings, peanut butter and nut spreads.
*All above things should be avoided because the ailing liver cannot digest these fatty, spicy and sugary food items. Thus, they put extra load on the already weak lever. Sometimes, the excess fat gets deposited on the liver itself; causing scaring and damaging the liver cells. Such condition is known as Fatty liver.
Other precautions that should be followed by the patients of Hepatitis C
- With the consent of your doctor take multivitamins and minerals tablet.
- Electrolyte balance in the body should be maintained by taking electrolytes supplements with doctor’s advice.
sir i am saillu i have 24 years old now i have fatty liver disease , i have some precautions of this disease and also what type of foods will taken on this disease sir