Are you troubled with frequent heartburn and stomach ache? Are you experiencing belching, nausea, or regurgitation? If you nodded along positively, following a proper diet can relieve you of these stomach discomforts. Knowing the causes and helpful diet and lifestyle tips can help you in alleviating these discomforts. Keep reading to learn all about some effective management strategies in food and lifestyles.
What Is GERD?
Acid reflux happens when the acid in the stomach returns to the esophagus. In a healthy person, the lower esophageal sphincter prevents the backflow of the food and contents in the stomach. But, when the sphincter gets weakened and damaged, the person may suffer from GERD.
Most commonly observed symptoms of GERD are heartburn, discomfort in the chest, and pain in the stomach. Symptoms, such as frequent burping, the heaviness of the stomach, fullness of the stomach, a dry cough, regurgitation, and shortness of breath may also be experienced. Let’s have a look at some changes which you can do in the daily diet to help you to get rid of GERD.
Foods To Be Added In Your Daily Diet
Here are some foods which are beneficial to mitigate GERD when added to your diet.
- Foods that helps in easy digestion: Chamomile Tea, Mustard, Tulsi, Cinnamon, Jeera or Cumin seeds, etc.
- Coconut water: Fresh coconut water contains electrolytes which balance the pH in the stomach.
- Anti-inflammatory foods: Anti-inflammatory foods such as honey and ginger.
- Non-citrus fruits, banana, apple, and grapes should be added to your diet.
- Dry fruits containing unsaturated fats, avocado, and walnuts are helpful.
- Foods containing low fat and sugar: Green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and cucumber.
- Oils preferred are olive oil or sunflower oil,
- Egg whites: It helps to reduce acid reflux. Take care to remove the yolk.
- Foods which soothes the gastric tract, such as buttermilk, skimmed milk, and fresh yogurt
Foods That You Should Eliminate From Your Regular Diet:
Here is a list of foods which you can eliminate from your diet to obtain relief from GERD.
- Fatty or spicy foods and fried food items.
- Chilly, garlic, and onion
- Tomato and tomato products
- Citrus fruits
- Beverages with caffeine
- Tea and coffee
- Alcoholic drinks
Lifestyle Tips To Obtain Relief From Discomforts Of GERD:
Along with the diet, some lifestyle changes also help you obtain relief from the discomfort of GERD.
- Avoid heavy meals and overeating. Try to have a small quantity of food at frequent intervals.
- Maintain an upright position for at least 2 hours after having food. Avoid eating food at bedtime.
- Avoid smoking.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
Diet and lifestyle management can help you to some extent to avoid GERD. However, severe and chronic GERD cases should be treated with medication along with diet and lifestyle management. In severe and chronic cases of GERD, food may get stuck in the throat, which can cause changes in the esophageal cells and, in extreme condition, it can also lead to cancer.
Homeopathic remedies are very useful in treating the severe and frequently occurring GERD conditions. Medicines, such as Carbo vegetabalis, Natrum phoshporicum, and Arsenicum Album, provide good relief from GERD.
So, make sure you make these diet changes and lifestyle modifications to say goodbye to the discomforting GERD smoothly without any hassles.
- Written by Dr. Athira W, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah