Being underweight or skinny is a condition in which the body weight is less than the normal weight. Having Body Mass Index (BMI) less than 20 indicates you’re a bit underweight. Healthy and appropriate weight according to one’s is necessary to maintain good health. So, you need to beat the underweight condition by developing and following healthy diet habits. And, if you are wondering what reasons are for being underweight, what its symptoms are, and what dietary tips you should follow, think no further. Keep reading to learn all about it.
Causes of Being Underweight:
The quantity and quality of food you eat matters.
Some causes of being underweight are listed below.
- Irregular eating habits and eating poor quality of foods
- Increased physical activity without adequate food intake
- Prolonged use of laxatives
- Certain mental disorders, such as Anorexia Nervosa, in which there is an obsession for thinness and the individual refuses to eat inadequately
- Conditions, such as Hyperthyroidism (due to hormonal imbalance), and cases of malabsorption due to diarrhea, vomiting, and fever.
Symptoms of Being Underweight:
Some symptoms include:
- Weak bones
- Inhibited growth and development in the growing children
- Weak immune functions that make one more prone to infections
- Anemia, hair loss
- Fertility issues
The society we live in shapes our thoughts and perception. The first impression is most often assumed to be the last impression. Your body image and self-esteem often go hand in hand. The way society thinks about you can often make or break your self-esteem. Body image can have some detrimental effects on your mental health.
So, if you are skinny and trying to gain weight, here are some dietary tips that you can follow to gain weight naturally.
We treat patients from the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries.
click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.
Dietary & Lifestyle Tips for Underweight or Skinny Individuals to Gain Weight:
- Healthy calories:
Include healthy calories in your diet by eating foods, such as cereals, pulses, rice, meat, dry fruits, and nuts.
- Increase the number of meals per day:
It is essential to have 4 meals per day, but if you want to gain weight, you need to have 6 meals per day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner must be heavy and abundant in nutrients.
- Healthy protein intake:
Along with healthy calories, you need to include healthy proteins, such as pulses, sprouts, eggs, lean meats of chicken, and meat (no organ meat), dairy products, and fish (like salmons, tuna, and mackerel) in your diet.
- Healthy fats:
Eating healthy fats is necessary for many vital body functions. It is necessary to provide basic energy to the body and support cell growth. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are considered good fats, which can be absorbed from green leafy vegetables, fruits, nut and seeds, and vegetable oils.
Some examples include avocados, eggs, walnuts, almonds, flax seeds, yogurt, canola oil, oats, pumpkin seeds, and chickpeas.
- Yoga Poses:
Yes, yoga helps you gain weight. Certain yoga poses, such as Vajrasana, Matsyasana, Salamba Sarvangasana, and Dhanurasana, help improve your blood circulation, enhance overall metabolism and digestion, and help you gain appropriate weight.
- Sleep well:
It is extremely important to get enough sleep. A person needs a minimum of 6-8 hours of sleep so that the body can get enough rest and function properly. Sleep is essential for one’s health and well-being.
- Manage your stress:
It is extremely necessary to manage your stress, follow a healthy diet, and practice yoga/meditation and exercise for a healthy and happy life. You can read books, have a refreshing bath, make use of aromatherapy, candle therapies, and learn and practice music and various forms of dances as well to relieve your daily stress.
- Practice exercises:
Exercises, such as brisk walking, pushups, pull-ups, crunches, and squats, are some of the best exercises to gain weight. They strengthen and tone the body’s muscles and posture.
- Socialize:Spend time with friends and family. Social interactions help to be active both mentally and physically, thereby enhancing positivity in life and improved physical activity levels. Surround yourself with positive people. Engage your mind in new activities and hobbies.
Foods to Include in Your Daily Diet to Gain Weight:
Here’s my list of easy foods that you can include in your daily diet:
- Butter, Ghee, and Cheese:
Regular or excess consumption of butter, ghee, and cheese may not be good for health. However, consuming it in moderate quantities is good and can help you gain appropriate weight. Also, butter, cheese, and ghee are essential sources of protein, carbohydrates, and fats.
- Healthy fluids:Natural, homemade fruit and vegetable juices are rich in nutrients and beneficial to gain weight. Avoid juices that you get in tetra packs from the market. Go for coconut water, as it helps relieve stress and provides instant energy.
- Healthy fruits and vegetables:Healthy fruits and vegetables, such as apples, banana, papaya, mango, watermelon, chikoo, custard apple, and Vitamin C rich fruits, cabbage, cauliflower, potato, drumstick, spinach, beans, peas, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, and many more, should be included in your diet. Fruits and vegetables provide essential fiber and carbohydrates for quick weight gain.
- Nuts and seeds:Essential monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are present in the nutritious seeds and nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, apricots, raisins, flaxseeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, soybean oil, and canola oil, so eating them can help gain weight in a healthy natural way.
- Greek Yogurtis a healthy food, high in calories, and rich in fiber, proteins, and calcium.
- Brown riceis packed with healthy carbohydrates and fiber intake.
- Pastais a cereal carbohydrate, which serves as a healthy calorie meal.
- Sufficient water intake:You must have at least 12-14 glasses of water.
Impossible says I AM POSSIBLE. It is easy to achieve health goals. You write the story of your own life! Don’t stress too much. Love yourself and think positive, because what consumes your mind consumes your life. Spread happiness where you go.
You can achieve your health goals, YOU WILL!