Many people always have a question as to how Homeopathy can help in treating Kidney/Renal stones. Does it dissolve the stones? Is homeopathy helpful in recovering from renal stone completely? This blog highlights the efficacy of Homeopathy in the treatment of Kidney stones, how it helps in addressing the recurrence of stones, and the general management of kidney stones
Renal stone is one of the most common and painful urologic disorders. The stones are formed from crystals that separate from the urine in the urinary tract. The crystals are formed when the chemicals present in the urine stop working, as the role of chemicals is to inhibit the crystal formation.
Dealing with Kidney Stones Effectively with Homeopathy:
In homeopathy, many remedies are highly effective in reducing the size of the stone, breaking the stone, and promoting the passage of the stone with the least possible discomfort. Homeopathy has proved to be a blessing, particularly for the patients, who have the possibility of undergoing surgery, such as highly diabetic patients and old aged patients.
The results are encouraging with Homeopathic treatment for kidney stones in the patients of renal calculi. Whether the stone is single, multiple, small, or big, homeopathy can treat it effectively, regardless of its location and composition. In many cases, surgical intervention can be avoided as well as post-surgical complications. The chances of recurrence are still there after surgery or lithotripsy as the cause remains untreated, but, after long-term Homeopathic treatment, the chances of recurrence are very less as it obliterates the root cause of the renal calculi. The patient can take the treatment along with his routine activity without hospitalization or any inconvenient treatment. Another advantage of Homeopathic treatment is that it can be taken simultaneously along with conventional medicines for any other ailment. With the Homeopathic approach, the surgical problem can be converted into a medical one through the judicious employment of already existing Homeopathic medicines.
Inclusion and Exclusion Criteria for Homeopathic Treatment:
- Size of calculi is up to 10 mm
- One who tends to have recurrent stones
- Severe haematuria
- Acute retention of urine for more than 24 hours
- Severe hydronephrosis
- The presence of uremia (raised blood urea and Se. Creatinine)
- Staghorn stone
- Structural abnormality of kidney
Facts and Myths of Renal Stone:
Prevailing myths regarding kidney stones that you should be aware of.
- Dietary calcium causes kidney stones.
- Water is the only liquid that helps prevents stones.
- Coffee, tea and carbonated drinks cause stones.
- Alcohol causes stones.
- Vitamin C is not good for kidney stone patients
- Drinking milk causes kidney stones.
- Kidney stones are always multiple in numbers.
- Kidney stone causes kidney failure or kidney diseases.
Some Facts about Kidney Stone:
- People with high body mass index (BMI) excrete more urinary oxalate, uric acid, sodium, and Phosphorous than those with lower body mass index.
- Patients with anatomic anomalies associated with urinary obstruction or stasis are more prone to calculi.
- Individuals having high blood pressure, high sugar levels, and high cholesterol levels are more vulnerable to developing a kidney stone.
- Obesity is an independent risk factor for stone formation.
- Heat exposure and dehydration may cause renal stones.
- The cases increase in the summer season.
- Most of the small-sized stones may pass through your urinary tract and out of the body with urine.
- Kidney stone rarely causes permanent kidney damage.
General Management of Kidney Stones:
Here are some helpful tips which can help in managing kidney stones.
- Drink an adequate quantity of water i.e. at least 2-3 liters of water per day, as water helps to flush away the substances that form stones.
- Limit oxalate foods, such as soy, most nuts are rich in oxalate, spinach, tomatoes, chocolates, berries, beet, and wheat bran.
- Avoid cola beverages.
- Restrict the intake of milk and milk products.
- Opt for barley water which helps to flush out the stones exerts diuretic action and acts as a stone inhibitor.
- Avoid calcium supplements, as they increase the risk of stone formation, or take extra calcium supplements. Have appropriate calcium supplement, which is advised by your physician and kidney dietician.
- Limit the intake of red meat, eggs, and chicken, particularly if you have uric acid stones.
- Coconut water is good for patients with kidney stones as it inhibits the initial mineral phase formation and stimulates demineralization.
- Limit salt intake, as high sodium increases calcium in the urine, thereby increasing the chances of developing stones. Foods that are high in salt and should be eaten in moderation include cheese, salty snacks, pizzas, canned soups, frozen foods, baked goods, pickles, and olives.
Now that you know these helpful tips for preventing kidney stones, do follow them. Also, homeopathy is highly effective in treating kidney stones safely and remarkably. So, count on homeopathy without a second thought if you any time happen to suffer from a kidney stone.
- Written by Dr. Mithila K., Associate doctor to Rajesh Shah, MD (Hom.)