Are you experiencing discomforting burning pain in the chest? Are bloating and burping discomforts bothering you? Have you lost weight for no known reason? If you answered positively, you might be suffering from acid reflux. Due to this condition, you might experience terrible heartburn after a nice meal at a friend’s party. It may make you take those bland antacids or PPIs (proton-pump inhibitors) to get relief rather than cherishing the taste of the food. So, you might be wondering what acid reflux is, what its symptoms and causes are, and what treatment for acid reflux can help you obtain relief gently and safely with no adverse effects, aren’t you? Resolve all your queries by reading this blog below.
What is Heartburn?
Although it is referred to as heartburn, it is not technically the burning of the heart. The burning sensation or discomfort that starts in the chest behind the breastbone and spreads to the neck, throat, and jaw angle can be dangerous. Heartburn results when the stomach acid comes back into the esophagus. It is either called Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) or Acid Reflux. As a result, the esophagus gets inflamed.
The tube that connects your mouth to your stomach is your esophagus, and it’s in charge of pushing food down in rhythmic waves. Acids and enzymes break down food once it reaches your stomach, preparing it for digestion. Stomach acids are strong (after all, they’re supposed to dissolve food), and your stomach has a unique lining that shields it from acid. However, in the case of heartburn, some of those stomach acids migrate back up into the esophagus, causing you to experience a burning sensation.
Causes for Acid Reflux:
Many things that we do or eat daily can cause Acid Reflux. Some of which are:
- Excessive alcohol consumption, particularly on an empty stomach, can cause acid reflux and consequently heartburn.
- Caffeine is present in coffee. And, too much coffee implies too much caffeine, which leads to heartburn.
- Aspirin induces heartburn as well.
- Ibuprofen is one of the most common pain relievers. So, if you take a pain reliever, make sure that you take it with an acid reflux inhibitor.
- Carbonated beverages and even your favorite soft drink can cause heartburn.
- Acidic juices, such as grape, orange, and pineapple juices, can cause heartburn because they contain citric acid or lactic acid.
- Caffeine is also present in chocolate. While chocolate might help you relax, it can also trigger heartburn if you eat an excess of it.
- Pregnancy, obesity, depression, and lack of sleep are all possible causes.
Symptoms of Acid Reflux:
Here are some common symptoms of acid reflux that you should be aware of.
- A burning sensation in the neck
- Chest discomfort
- Suffering from swallowing difficulties
- A lump in the throat sensation
- Bad odor
- A feeling of abdominal bloating
- Laryngitis (inflammation of the larynx)
- Sour taste in the mouth
- Chest pain
Prevention Tips to Keep Heartburn at Bay:
Here are some preventive measures that can help you avoid the discomforts of heartburn.
- Peppermint, caffeine, sodas, chocolate, citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, onions, and high-fat foods are all items that you should avoid if you suffer from heartburn.
- For good health and smooth functioning of your digestive tract, eat extra fiber.
- Reduce your portion sizes as well. Instead of three large meals a day, try eating five or six little ones. Heartburn results due to eating a lot of food at once.
- Excess abdominal fat can push the stomach up into the esophagus, thereby causing acid reflux. To lose weight, stick to a diet and exercise plan.
- Make a list of everything you’ve eaten and when you get heartburn, so you can figure out which foods are your triggers and avoid them.
- Get rid of your skin-tight jeans. Tight clothing puts additional strain on the abdomen.
- Don’t go for long periods without eating. The acid secretion is triggered by hunger.
- Don’t overindulge in fatty or junk foods.
Homeopathic Medicines for Acidity:
Homeopathy works gently in treating GERD. Homeopathic treatment for acid reflux addresses the underlying source of the problem. Homeopathy can be quite beneficial to those who have not experienced much improvement after making lifestyle changes.
The following are the most commonly prescribed homeopathy treatment for GERD:
Robinia is a well-recognized homeopathic medicine for acidity. Intense heartburn, persistent sour belching, and sour vomiting resulting due to stomach acid regurgitation are the most common symptoms of GERD that indicate this remedy. When the heartburn and acidity symptoms worsen at night when lying down and induce restlessness, this medicine may help.
- Iris Versicolor
Iris Versicolor is used in homeopathy treatment for GERD which is natural medicine. The primary aspect of using this drug is sour, bitter belching. Sour, bitter fluid vomiting resulting in the burning sensation in the throat, vomiting along with the weakness, a smarting, burning feeling in the throat, and heartburn are the most common symptoms that indicate this medicine. It is also recommended when the patient experiences burning discomfort and aches in the epigastric region (the area above the stomach) may occur at irregular intervals.
- Natrum Phos
Natrum Phos is another commonly prescribed homeopathic medicine for acidity. When heartburn is accompanied by trouble swallowing, this remedy may help. Sour belching, waterbrash, and vomiting of sour liquids or cheesy, curdled masses are among the other symptoms that indicate this medicine. When the patient experiences a lump in the throat and a loss of appetite, this remedy may prove beneficial in obtaining relief.
The homeopathy treatment for GERD has helped many people to get rid of it. With homeopathy, you won’t require antacids which can produce a variety of side effects over time, including bone weakening. The homeopathic medicines don’t need to be taken for the rest of your life, so you can stop taking them once you’ve been treated. It will improve your quality of life since you will be able to eat the foods you prefer, such as spicy and fried foods in moderate quality and quantity.
So, if you happen to suffer from acid reflux any time, count on homeopathy without a second thought to obtain relief gently, effectively, and safely without any side effects.