Sometimes Constipated. Sometimes Loose motions. A very mild discomfort in his tummy.… Sridhar did not know what to make of his symptoms. Neither were they constant, nor were they severe enough to drive him to the doctor…until he came across a website that told him his complaints might be IBS symptoms.
IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a condition that is increasingly becoming common. So how do you know if you are suffering from symptoms of IBS? Read on to find out:
Your Symptoms are Characteristic of IBS:
Multiple symptoms occurring together characterize Irritable Bowel Syndrome. These IBS symptoms may often change over a period of time and at times may seem so random, that you may wonder if you have two or three conditions together!
- You have discomfort or pain in your abdomen (tummy region) which may be a dull cramping pain or a sharp one.
- There is a change of bowel habit – either diarrhea or constipation or both.
- Feeling of urgency or of not clearing out your bowels completely may also be present.
- Bloating of your abdomen or a feeling of fullness may be experienced.
- There is an increased sensitivity to certain food products like milk and dairy products, beans, cauliflower, cabbage, etc.
- Other symptoms like a generalized feeling of tiredness, sleep disturbances and muscle pains may also be noticed.
Your Symptoms are Persistent like IBS:
Not every tummy pain is classified as Irritable bowel syndrome symptom. Your symptoms need to satisfy the Rome III Criteria for diagnosis of IBS, which are as below:
- Your abdomen pain or discomfort should have been present since the last six months
- You should have noticed the pain for at least 3 days every month, for the last three months.
Your Symptoms Vary typically like IBS:
- You may be diagnosed with IBS if you are suffering from two of the below three symptoms:
- Your abdomen pain reduces after you have cleared your bowels
- Your stools are softer or harder than they usually are, when you have discomfort or pain
- Your bowel movements are less frequent or more frequent than they usually are, when you have discomfort or pain
You Fit the Picture of Someone who would get IBS:
Irritable Bowel Syndrome is more common in women than in men (twice as common). Symptoms of IBS are commonly seen to begin when you are in your late 20s. If you are in your 50s, then it is unlikely that you will experience IBS symptoms for the first time now. If you suffer from depression or anxiety or have someone in the family who suffers from IBS, you are more likely to have IBS yourself.
These symptoms of IBS are so typical that your doctor will make a diagnosis of IBS purely based on the symptoms. Additional tests if any may only be required to rule out other conditions that may resemble IBS symptoms.
Sridhar visited his doctor and was told that while his symptoms did slightly resemble IBS, it was too early to label it as IBS. Sridhar was suggested a few lifestyle and dietary changes and report back if his symptoms persisted. Luckily, just following the doctor’s advice helped Sridhar get relief from his symptoms.
Once your doctor has confirmed your IBS symptoms, you can begin thinking of your treatment options. Homoeopathic treatment for IBS has very good scope in reducing the sensitivity to certain foods and alleviating the effect of stress. Patients at LifeForce Homoeopathy have experienced the gentle and long lasting effects of homoeopathy treatment for IBS. Do leave us your contact details in the form below to get in touch with our doctors. Alternately, you can contact us at + 91-22-66888888 / 67978289 / 9221000263 or visit our website http://www.askdrshah.com/warts.aspx or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.