Know How To Lose Weight With Hypothyroidism
Losing weight can be quite frustrating to many, particularly to those who have an underactive thyroid. Thyroid, as many of you might know, affects our metabolism, cause weight gain, and put weight management in peril.
Let’s me brush up a little on thyroid. Hormones which are produced by thyroid gland are used to regulate your body temperatures and know how the body uses energy, keeps the brain and organs function smoothly, and ensures smooth and appropriate metabolism.
To women with hypothyroidism, they may often feel that their hormones are working against them when they are trying hard to lose weight. Well, this is so because they are. In hypothyroidism, low levels of thyroid hormones slow down your body metabolism.
We treat patients from USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get an expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.
Now that when we are living with hypothyroidism, let’s learn how to tackle our weight loss misery.
1) Choosing The Right Treatment:
If you have recently discovered that you are suffering from hypothyroidism, always prefer to opt for a Homeopathic treatment as it will stimulate your thyroid to produce its own hormones rather than making it dependent on external synthetic hormones (i.e. the conventional treatment and medicines)
The conventional treatment will leave your thyroid gland inactive making it dependent on the supplements. Homeopathic treatment for hypothyroid is a quite effective and safest treatment to count on.
2) Have Enough Sleep:
Make sure you have enough continuous sound sleep to combat hypothyroidism. If weight loss is a challenge that you are dealing with, get at least 7 hours of sleep daily.
3) Go For A Gluten-Free Diet:
Consider going gluten-free. You don’t have to commit to a lifetime of a gluten-free diet, but you could try eating gluten-free for 3 months, to begin with, and you will notice more energy levels, less bloating, and significant desirable weight loss too.
4) Boost Your Metabolism:
Try to boost your metabolism naturally. For this purpose, exercise regularly. Go for a brisk walk daily for 40 minutes in open air. Inculcate appropriate exercises into your routine. Hydrate your body adequately by drinking enough water daily.
5) Foods To Eat And Avoid:
A. Foods that are Recommended to eat while battling hypothyroidism.
- Flaxseeds – Eat two tsp roasted whole or powdered flaxseeds daily
- Consume whole fruits
- Have 2-3 servings of dals, pulses, and sprouts
- Eat vegetables, salads, and fruits
- Go for skimmed milk, paneer, and curd
- Chicken, fish, and egg whites can be eaten 2-3 times/week.
Also: 7 Essential Facts That You Must Know About Hypothyroidism
B. Foods that are Not Recommended to eat while dealing with hypothyroidism
- Raw cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, turnip, almonds, and walnuts.
- Refined flour (Maida) products, such as bread, biscuits, Khari, toast, pasta, and macaroni.
- Concentrated dairy products
- Papads, pickles, i.e. canned, preserved, fried food should be avoided.
- Reduce coconut usage and avoid table salt
- Avoid the consumption of alcohol, smoking
- Limit products, such as jam, jelly, chocolates, ice creams, cakes, pastries, and canned aerated drinks
- Shellfish, such as prawns, lobster, crab, shrimps, red meat, organ meat, and processed meat.
An Extra Tip:
Always ask your treating doctor for optimal treatment. What is that??
Let me explain.
Mere standard treatment will never suffice, you need to make sure that your cells are getting enough oxygen and energy to keep your metabolism right. So, how do you know if you are getting an optimal treatment or not?
Check your thyroid levels every 3 months.
- Your TSH should be around 2.0.
- Your free T3 should be in the top half of the reference range.
- Your free T4 should be in the top half of the reference range (unless you are on T3/T4 medication then it can be lower at times).
If you are still experiencing symptoms then it is time to have a conversation with your treating doctor for optimal treatment.
It is a fact that thyroid patients face a lot of difficulty in losing weight, but there are no shortcuts to weight loss. One has to be focused on one’s goal.
So, if any time you are suffering from hypothyroidism, count on homeopathy without a second thought to get in shape and enjoy a healthy life.
– Written by Dr. Krutika, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah
Got Questions? Get answers to all the questions regarding your ailment from Dr. Shah directly.
+ There are no commentsAdd yours