Yeast is a type of fungus normally found on the skin, digestive system, mouth, female vagina, skin folds, and some other areas in the human body. Most often, they do not cause infections. Vaginal Yeast Infection is the most common type of yeast infection which affects the female vagina. Know about the probable causes, symptoms, and natural remedies for Vagina Yeast Infection by reading this article.
What is Vaginal Yeast Infection?
Vaginal Yeast Infection is an infection of the vagina resulting due to an excessive amount of fungus called Candida Albicans. The medical condition is also known by the name Vaginal Candidiasis or Monilial Vaginitis. This is a curable disease through periodic medication and recurrence can be easily prevented by natural remedies.
Causes of Vaginal Yeast Infection:
Various reasons leading to Vaginal Yeast Infection in females are:
- Hormonal changes in pregnant women
- Weak Immune system
- Antibiotic medication that may kill the no. of Lactobacillus (good bacteria) which keeps vaginal candida under check.
We treat patients from the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get an expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.
Symptoms of Vaginal Yeast Infection:
Vaginal Yeast Infections always lead to discomfort. The most common symptoms on a person suffering from VYI are:
- Itching on the vaginal area
- Reddish appearance on the outer portion of the vagina
- Abnormal vaginal discharge (may vary from watery to slight thick)
- Painful urination in some cases
9 Home Remedies for Yeast Infection:
Yeast Infection is a highly curable disease through homeopathic medication, but here we are glancing at a few natural remedies one can adopt after diagnosing with the disease or can also be adopted as a preventive measure.
Natural Remedies: Any recommended remedy for Yeast Infection should ultimately help in reducing the multiplication of fungus Candida albicans. Some of the non-medication tips one can incorporate to fight against C. Albicans are listed below.
- Yogurt: Yoghurt is rich in Lactobacillus (good bacteria). They help in fighting the bad bacteria, thereby keeping your C. Albicans under check. Yogurt is a good supplement in your diet if you are on a regular dosage of antibiotics. One should also ensure that the yogurt is free from the added sugar since it can stimulate the growth of fungal bacteria.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is found to have very good antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties which can help in keeping the fungal bacteria in check. Apply coconut oil in small proportions on the affected area directly.
- Apple Cedar Vinegar: Vinegar, when mixed with water and applied gently on the affected area, can help in reducing the harmful bacteria. Apple Cedar Vinegar can be added in small proportions in food preparations also. Direct application of vinegar on affected parts of the body without dilution is not recommended.
- Try Garlic: Try adding garlic supplements in your diets, since it is identified as a good C. Albicans killer. The results from the usage of garlic may be slow. However, the direct application of the peeled garlic or garlic paste on the vaginal parts is not recommended.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea Tree Oil is found to have good antifungal and antimicrobial properties. It can be diluted with another oil base, such as coconut oil, and applied to infected areas. Tea Tree Oil is not to be applied directly to affected areas as it may irritate the skin.
- Take a Diet Low in Sugar: A high intake of sugar, sugar-syrup-based food products, dried fruits, melons, etc. develops a very high risk of increasing the yeast content in your body. Try to keep a check on these items if you are suffering from VYIs.
- Increase Vitamin C Intake: Vitamin C has got very good antimicrobial properties which can help fight C. Albicans. Try to have regular supplements of citrus-based food items, such as orange, lemon, grapes, etc., in your diet.
- Maintain Personal Hygiene: Good personal hygiene is essential to keep the body immune against fungal infection. Try to clean the outside area of the vagina with lukewarm water in between. Make sure not to keep the genital area moist or wet for too long, as it can stimulate the growth of fungal bacteria. Use gentle cleansers, and avoid using detergent products for cleansing.
- Try Wearing Cotton Inners: Cotton allows good air circulation on the genital areas, thereby helping in keeping it warm and free from moisture.
Most of the natural remedies do give positive feedback in a few days or a week’s time. The recovery also depends on your general immune system, present physical condition (pregnancy period), and personal hygiene. However, recovery from this disease can be easily achieved without any complications. One can try approaching a medical practitioner if they don’t feel any improvements in the relief in the symptoms and medical condition.