Migraine is the headache that occurs in a recurrent pattern. According to the studies, a total of 5% to 10% of the child population suffer from migraine. It is common in boys at a younger age and more common in girls in elder ages. The manifestation of the condition in children is mostly observed from 5 to 10 years of age.
Some of the common symptoms of migraine in children are throbbing, pulsating, pressing, and pounding pain, ache, burning discomfort, and other discomforts. Migraine patients may experience different symptomatic patterns. For instance, some may have a right or left-sided headache, while some may have a both-sided headache, particularly in the forehead, pain radiating from the back of the head to forehead and settling in the eyes are some of the common ones.
In children, a migraine-headache may accompany with several associated symptoms as listed below:
- Abdominal pain/cramps
- Sensitivity to light
- Sensitivity to sound
- Sensitivity to smells
- The need for sleep
- Heaviness of head
Though the cause of the migraine is not yet clear, a physician may diagnose it by considering the symptoms and the following factors.
- More sensitivity to the light and sounds
- The diagnostic tests (MRI, CT to rule out any pathology)
- Family history for a genetic link
- A detailed history (particularly that of any fall or trauma)
Preventing Factors For A Migraine Attack:
Avoiding triggering factors can help prevent the discomforting migraine. Here are some triggering factors that can help prevent migraine attacks.
- Intense shrills or loud sounds
- Hearing any shocking news or getting in depressive/stressful situations.
- Extreme climates
- Sleep disturbances
- Other specific triggers
If any specific foods are triggering migraine headaches in children, avoiding those foods can help prevent the migraine episode. Here are some food triggers that you may avoid to keep the migraine at bay.
How Homeopathy Helps In Treating Migraine In Children?
Homeopathy plays a crucial role in the treatment of Migraine in children. Here are some homeopathic remedies for migraine in children.
- Belladonna: If the patient experiences the feeling of fullness and increased sensitivity to noise and light, Belladona is recommended.
- Bryonia: If the pain with splitting head, locating in one eye(left) and spreading to the whole of head affect the patient, Bryonia may help.
- Gelsemium: If you suffer from the pain in the base of the head, around the eye, mostly by stress, Gelsemium is recommended.
- Glonoine: The fullness of the head and feeling of heat indicate Glonoine.
- Ignatia: Hysterical pain is indicative of Ignatia for treating the migraine.
- Iris versicolor: Iris versicolor helps in treating the migraine with blurry vision.
Early diagnosis and the right and effective treatment from an expert homeopath can help treat the migraine in children very well without any side-effects. Homeopathy offers an effective and safe treatment for migraine in children. So, you can count on homeopathy for the treatment of migraine in children without a second thought. I hope this blog is informative in explaining all the important aspects of migraine in children.