A woman is a crucial element of family and society alike. She performs all her responsible duties sincerely and dedicatedly. To ensure the well-being of any family or society, every woman should take care of her health. PCOS is a concerning condition that affects the health of numerous women throughout the world. Fortunately, you have homeopathy at your rescue. And, if you are wondering what PCOS is and how homeopathy can help manage it effectively, think no further. Keep reading to learn all about it.
What is PCOS?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is characterized by the buildup of numerous cysts in the ovaries along with high androgen levels, lack of ovulation, and metabolic disturbances. As per the studies, PCOS is now commonly affecting 1 in 10 females of the reproductive age group (1).
This disorder is characterized by excessive production of a male hormone medically termed as Androgen & metabolic abnormality of Estrogen production.
It is characterized as a multifactorial condition, depending upon the symptoms listed below.
Symptoms of PCOS:
Here are some common symptoms of PCOS that you should be aware of.
- Absence of ovulation (Anovulation).
- Menstrual dysfunction – Disturbance in the bleeding patterns such as excessive or prolonged bleeding
- Absence of menstruation
- Absence of ovulation (Anovulation)
- Infrequent menstruation and Increased levels of Testosterone (Hyperandrogenism)
- Excessive or abnormal hair growth (Hirsutism)
- Obesity & metabolic syndrome
- Discoloration of the skin (grey pigmentation) commonly observed on the nape of the neck, axilla, inner thighs, and groin (Acanthosis nigricans)
How to Diagnose PCOS?
- Your doctor will consider your complete medical record including menstruation and reproduction history and weight gain.
- The doctor will conduct a pelvic examination to determine the size of the ovaries and ascertain unusual hair growth, acne, and other changes.
- Blood tests that measure hormonal levels, glucose, and insulin may be suggested.
- An ultrasound is often used to determine the size and shape of the ovaries and diagnose the condition.
It is not recommended to self-diagnose the condition. When one suspects or experiences symptoms identical to PCOS, it is best to consult a doctor promptly.
Homeopathy can treat PCOS effectively. Here are some common homeopathic remedies for PCOS.
- Lycopodium: Right-sided ovarian pain indicates this remedy. It helps treat women suffering from delayed menses.
- Lachesis: Left-sided ovarian pain, induration, menorrhagia (heavy bleeding), particularly in premenstrual syndrome indicate this homeopathic remedy.
- Pulsatilla: Absence of menses, changeability in menses, and profuse and intermittent menses indicate this homeopathic medicine.
- Sepia: Sepia helps in treating delayed menses and the sensation of bearing down effectively.
- Natrum Mur: Profuse menses, mostly in women who face abdominal pain in the morning, indicate this homeopathic remedy.
- Thuja occ: Left-sided ovarian & inguinal pain present during every menstrual cycle indicate Thuja occ.
- Calcarea carb: Menses too early & too profuse and headache before menses indicate Calcarea carb.
- Apis Mel: Right-sided soreness & cutting pains and bleeding which occurs between the cycles indicate this remedy.
Self-Help Tips to Manage or Alleviate PCOS:
- Exercise ups your metabolism & helps in managing your stress levels.
- Avoid eating processed foods as they contain chemicals additives and artificial colorings.
- Avoid sugar, soda, and refined carbohydrates as they affect insulin resistance.
- Avoid alcohol & smoking. They disturb hormonal balance & affect fertility.
- Practice meditation for managing stress.
Now that you know how effective homeopathy is in treating PCOS, opt for homeopathic treatment for PCOS without a second thought if you happen to suffer from the condition at any time.