Struggling To Maintain A Healthy Heart? – Relish These 8 Fishes
Everybody knows that fish is a rich source of proteins and omega-3 fatty acids. Doctors recommend consuming fish a minimum of twice a week. There is a wide variety of fishes to choose from in the local market but not many know that eating the right kind of fish can make your heart grow stronger and reduces the risk of heart diseases
Certain fishes, such as salmon and sardine, have omega-3 fatty acids which are very good for the heart and brain. However, you must consume the best and right fishes to have a healthy heart. Omega-3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats and good for heart health.
Its consumption prevents strokes in the following ways:
- It helps in lowering triglycerides
- It may help lower an irregular heartbeat
- It lowers the risk of building plaque in arteries
- It helps in lowering the blood pressure
However, according to American Heart Association and other health organizations, certain fishes may also contain PCBs polychlorinated biphenyl, dioxins, and many harmful chemicals. Consuming these fishes can result in an increased risk of cancer and lowered heart health benefits. Therefore, it’s important to know which fish to devour. Here we bring you the best eight fishes for a healthy heart.
We treat patients from USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get an expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.
- Atlantic mackerel: Atlantic mackerel is a very strong-flavored fish and has a good content of omega-3 fatty acids. It delivers around 21 grams of protein in 85 grams of the fillet. Mackerel is also rich in vitamin B12 selenium, niacin, phosphorus, and other important minerals. It has been found that many species of mackerel contain a high level of mercury However, Atlantic mackerel is a fish that is safe to eat. Its taste can be enjoyed best when you bake, boil, grill, or poach it. Many good recipes are available online to retain the nutritional taste and enjoy the good taste. Besides providing good fats, mackerel also helps in relieving stress and fighting depression as omega-3 fatty acids help minimize depression.
- Sardines: It comes in different shapes and sizes and is packed with nutrients. Sardines are rich in calcium, protein, vitamin B12, selenium, and omega 3 fatty acids. Frozen and canned sardines are easily available in the market. However, one should read the label and ensure that it does not have high sodium content or trans-fat. There are different ways to cook sardines. It may include in salad snacks. Main course dishes can be cooked by using it. There are some recipes online using which you can make culinary delights by keeping the nutritional value intact.
- Tuna: We all love tuna and its delicious flavor. The fish is a part of a variety of seafood delicacies. Tuna fish sandwiches and sushi are the most loved delicacies. However, one should be cautious while eating tuna as it contains a high level of mercury. The fish has a distinctive flavor. It is rich in nutrients, such as potassium, magnesium, iron, and different type of vitamins. The omega-3 fatty acids reduce cholesterol in arteries and restore the balance in them. As a result, the heart functions efficiently and maintains good health. The combination of fatty acid and potassium impacts the cardiovascular system. This helps in reducing blood pressure and the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Salmon: This cold-water fish has a lot to offer to human heart health. It is rich in different vitamins, such as EPA AND DHA. In addition to this, it provides selenium. This combination helps in lowering blood pressure and inflammation. These essential fatty acids can keep body fats in check and provides energy to the body. Eating this fish at least twice a week will keep you in a healthy state. Salmon has a very fine and delicious taste, and it is easy to cook. It is also readily available in the market in form of frozen or canned form.
- Lake trout: You can easily find lake trout in a local fish market. You should buy only those fishes which are raised in flowing water or freshwater. Ask the fish seller about the whereabouts of this fish. It is available throughout the year and you can cook using simple methods, such as baking, broiling, grilling, poaching, or simply sauteing. It is better to avoid canned lake trout since in high in sodium and fats.
- Anchovies: Though not everybody likes anchovies, this healthy fish has a lot of nutrients. Anchovy is well-known as one of the best fishes that can help you maintain a healthy heart. It is loaded with some important vitamins and minerals, such as zinc, potassium, iron, sodium, calcium, and magnesium. It also has vitamins, such as niacin, folate, riboflavin, vitamin K, E, B6, A, C, and E. Since it is good in omega-3 fatty acids, it can lower cholesterol and maintain a healthy heart.
- Herring: This belongs to a group of sardine family and is a good food source for a healthy heart. Canned herring comes in various forms, such as pickled and smoked herring. Herring is not only loaded with omega-3 fatty acids but other essential vitamins and minerals. However, it contains a high amount of sodium and so should be eaten in moderation.
- Codfish and cod liver oil: Codfish is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. Including it in your diet will help control cholesterol and triglycerides and reduce the risk of strokes. It can also control high blood pressure. Just a teaspoon of cod liver oil can meet up to 90% of vitamin A intake. The cod liver oil has omega-6 fatty acids and other essential vitamins like vitamin E, D, and B12.
These healthy fishes should be included in the everyday diet for various health reasons and a healthy heart. These fishes are not only rich in omega-6 fatty acids but also other vitamins.
So, add these healthy fishes to your diet and have a healthy heart. Also, follow healthy lifestyle habits, diet, and regular exercise to maintain good heart health
+ There are no commentsAdd yours