The process by which our skin gets darkened by exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun is called natural sun tan. The intensity of suntan or sunburn depends on many factors like type of skin, the genetic makeup of the person, the intensity of the sun rays, time of the day at which the exposure occurs etc. Though in many parts of the world sun tanning of the body is done intentionally to improve the aesthetic appearance of the person, tanning can cause a health concern.
Our skin contains a pigment called melanin which is produced by the special cells called melanocytes. The melanin protects our body by absorbing the harmful sun rays. When our body gets exposed to excessive radiation from the sun, the body tries to combat the damages caused by the radiation and to protect the skin by producing more melanin. As a result, the skin gets darkened. Both UV-A and UV-B is responsible for the tanning effect of the skin.
Sun tan problem is more in summer. It is better to avoid getting tanned by avoiding exposure to the sun from 11 AM to 4 PM. There are different types of creams available in the market even to remove or lighten the sun tan. Some of the suntan removal creams may have contents which are not healthy for your skin. Some creams can increase the damage to the already tanned skin. So, people opt for home remedies to treat the sun tan. You can bring back the natural fairness of the skin by trying the home remedies suitable for you.[box type=”note” ]We treat patients from USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get an expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.[/box]
5 Best home remedies to protect your skin from Summer Tan:
1. Cucumber and Lemon Juice
- Mix Cucumber Juice with Lemon Juice and add pinch of Turmeric to make a paste
- Apply this paste over affected areas and leave it for 30 mins, then wash off.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
- Remove the pulpy gel from natural aloe vera leaves and apply it over affected areas.
- Though aloe vera gel is available in the market, but nothing can Substitute Nature!
3. Gram Flour, Rosewater Mixture
- Mix 1 tablespoon of Gram flour in 1 tablespoon of Rosewater and make a thin paste.
- Apply it over affected areas and leave it for 15 min, wash off thereafter!
4. Honey And Lemon Juice
5. Almond And Milk
- Soak Almond in water for 2-3 hours.
- Blend soak Almond with Milk, forming a paste, apply in over face and wash off after 10min!
Related Article: 5 Tips for controlling psoriasis this summer
Some Tips For Glowing Skin:
1) Hydrate yourself: During summer, your body tends to lose a lot of moisture. So it is important to hydrate your body with water from time to time.
2) Using a toner: A skin toner will keep the pores closed and keep the skin cool. You can try rose water as its natural cooling properties are excellent for summer.
3) Sleep Well: 8 hours of refreshing Sleep is Needed to keep your Mind and Body Stable and to make you look Glow
4) Staying out of Sun during hottest hours: The hottest hours of the day are between 11 AM -3 PM. You should avoid staying out for long in these hours as your skin will get more exposed to radiations.
5) Apply sunscreen: Sunscreen is the best way to which your skin is protected. Choose a sunscreen which has a combination of sunscreen and moisturizer. Sunscreen of SFP 30 will take care.
6) Use face wash: Clean your face at least twice a day. Keep a routine to wash your face once in morning and evening. Choose a cleanser which is gentle for your skin type.
7) Avoid aerated drinks: Aerated drinks contain lots of sugar which are not good for your face instead drink water, fresh lime, fresh fruit juices or coconut water. You should also minimize the intake of alcohol and caffeine as they reduce the water content from the body system.[box type=”note” ]Got Questions? Get answers to all the questions regarding your ailment from Dr. Shah directly.[/box]
– Written by Dr. Bhoomi, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah, Life Force Team.