Our Thyroid is a small gland that produces thyroid hormones which regulates the body’s metabolic rate. The thyroid hormone has effects on almost every cell of the body including the functioning of the digestive system, heart, muscles, bones, brain, etc.
What is underactive thyroid?
A deficiency of the thyroid hormone (thyroxine) is known as underactive thyroid or Hypothyroidism.
Women are 10 times more likely than men to develop thyroid problems.
What are the symptoms of Underactive Thyroid?
Underactive Thyroid Symptoms slightly vary for men and women (adults) and children. These are as below:
1) In Men and Women:
- You may notice that your skin has become dry, rough, scaly, and itchy.
- Do you have weight gain? You may observe that your weight is increasing rapidly, your previous clothes are becoming tight and rings do not fit in your fingers.
- You might see that you are losing more than 80-100 strands of hair per day, especially while combing, washing hair and oiling.
- Loss of hair in the outer part of the eyebrows may be noticed along with thinning of your hair.
- Swelling around the eyes or rarely blurred vision may be noticed. Swelling of the feet (pitting edema) may also occur.
- Underactive Thyroid may also cause Infertility.
- Does your mood swing? Irritability and depression are the other Underactive Thyroid symptoms.
- Does fatigue drag you down day by day? If you feel tired, lazy, sleepy, weak, low on energy, fatigued, cold most of the time, these may be an indication of an underactive thyroid. You can have difficulty in breathing on exerting. Body ache and excessive sweating could also be a sign of thyroid problem.
- Constipation may be experienced.
- You may be able to feel your heart beat (called palpitations).
- Unexplained weight gain despite a poor appetite is quite characteristic
In Women: Menstrual irregularities like heavier than normal menses or Very less menses or delayed menses may be noticed. A history of Miscarriage may be a symptom of Underactive Thyroid.
- In Men: Erectile dysfunction may be a bothersome effect of hypothyroidism.
2) In Children:
- The child’s growth is delayed
- Short height of the child as compared to his / her age
- Poor concentration in studies
- Lazy, tired all the day
- Memory weakness
- Delayed milestones
- Hoarseness of voice
3) Infants (new born):
- Swelling of the face.
- Excessive sleepiness
- Large protruding tongue
If you have noticed any of the above symptoms of Underactive thyroid, do not hesitate to contact your doctor and ask if you should get a thyroid test done. If you have not been on thyroid supplements for more than 2 years, you can expect good results with Homoeopathy for your Underactive Thyroid. Get in touch with us today to know how Dr Rajesh Shah’s homoeopathic treatment can help your symptoms of underactive thyroid.