Sometimes we take certain things for granted – even our own bodies. It’s only when a body part begins complaining in the language of pain, do we realize its importance. Take the example of our neck. Thanks to spending longer hours hunched over our laptops and mobiles, more of us are experiencing neck pain.
There are many causes for neck pain amongst which most common is wrong posture, muscle strain, nerve compression, injuries, diseases related to joints & nerves.
If your neck pain is just due to improper posture or frequent muscle strain, here are few easy tips which can relieve your neck pain…
1) Exercise :
- Neck & shoulder exercises help to get rid of neck pain. As you watch TV at night or use computer retract your shoulder blades, hold for a few seconds and relax them.
- Slowly turn your head to the left with your left hand, apply very light tension on your chin so that your head turns slightly more. Hold for 20 seconds & return slowly to centre. Repeat on the other side.
- Bend your head forward & try to touch your chin to your chest. Relax the shoulder as you do so, hold it in this position for few seconds & then return to normal.
2) Sleeping Position :
- Sleeping on your back without a very high pillow helps maintain the natural curve of spine.
- Sleeping on the stomach causes an awkward position of neck.
- It is recommended that you use pillows to support your lower back and knees so that there is no strain on the spine.
- Use a cervical pillow which will support your neck while sleeping, driving or using the computer.
3) Posture :
- Whenever you spend more than 45 minutes in the driver’s seat or in front of your computer, practice the following:
Drop your chin to your chest then roll your neck to the left, back, right & down again in circular motion.
- Position your computer screen at eye level. Your gaze should be directly in middle of your computer screen. If not, use books or other items to adjust it.
- Do not hold your mobile phone in between your ear & shoulder while speaking. Use a mobile headset instead.
- Prevent sudden jerks to your neck & back while driving, running or sneezing.
4) Stay Hydrated :
The disc between the vertebrae in the spine is largely made up of water, so drinking lots of water will keep them healthy & moist.
5) Carry Weight Evenly :
Consider using a backpack that distributes weight evenly across the shoulders, instead of using a heavy purse or briefcase on one shoulder & tilting the spine.
These five quick tips to prevent neck pain will help you stay away from popping pain killers regularly. If your neck pain continues to trouble you, do see your doctor for neck pain as there might be a structural disease underlying that needs treatment. Homoeopathy can definitely help take care of your neck pain. The scope of improvement depends on the underlying damage and severity of the disease. Get in touch with our doctors at Lifeforce to know about homoeopathy treatment for neck pain. Leave us your basic details in the form below, get back to us at +91-22-66888888 or write back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit our website: http://www.askdrshah.com/app/cervical-spondylitis/