Before we look at the treatment of Guttate psoriasis, let us first understand briefly what is guttate psoriasis? Guttate psoriasis is a type of psoriasis (skin disease) which manifests itself as rash of red small spots covered by fine scales on the top. It has also been given the name of red drop or tear drop psoriasis (from the latin word ‘guttae’ for drop). Children, teenagers and young adults below 30 are affected more commonly.
If you have been diagnosed with Guttate psoriasis, what are your options? Here is a look at the options available for the treatment of Guttate psoriasis:
Conventional Medicine Treatment for Guttate Psoriasis:
Mild cases of Guttate Psoriasis usually resolve on their own in a few weeks without any treatment. In such cases doctor may just prescribe moisturizer to relieve the dryness of the skin. Very rarely doctors may prescribe topical corticosteroids to be applied locally on the lesions depending upon their judgment.
Mild to Moderate cases of psoriasis are treated with different creams which are applied locally on the lesions as below:
- Use of medicated moisturizers to reduce the dryness of skin over lesions.
- Apart from medicated moisturizers petroleum jelly, coconut oil, olive oil, aloe vera gels or creams can be used to relieve dryness.
- Topical corticosteroids: These medicines are derived from corticosteroid hormones. They act as anti inflammatory medicines reducing the redness and itching caused by psoriasis. They also suppress the immune system locally and are not without side effects.
- Vitamin D analogues such as calcipotriene, calcitriol
- Retinoids: These are Vitamin A derivatives which slow down skin cell re-growth.
- Shampoos or local applications containing salicylic acid are prescribed with the aim of slowing down the build-up of dead skin (scales).
Moderate to severe cases of psoriasis: Phototherapy and oral systemic medications combined with topical corticosteroids are used for extensive cases of guttate psoriasis.
- Photo therapy involves exposure of psoriasis lesion to ultraviolet light. In some cases application of medicines is advised along with some oral medications before UV light exposure. These medications (like psoralen, coal tar preparations or anthralin) applied locally make the skin sensitive to UV light and increases absorption of UV light. Combination of drug Psoralen with UVA is known as PUVA and is widely used.
- Systemic medications:
- Oral retinoids: Acitretin is the oral retinoid used for the treatment of guttate psoriasis.
- Drug Cyclosporine: It acts as immunosuppressive drug suppressing the overt reactions given by immune system. Like steroids and methotrexate, cyclosporine too has its side effects.
- Methotrexate: slows down the rapid growth and multiplication of cells seen in psoriasis.
- Immunomodulator drugs: These are given intravenously or given via injections.
Homoeopathic treatment for Guttate psoriasis:
Along with other types of psoriasis homoeopathy is strongly recommended for Guttate psoriasis treatment. Homoeopathic treatment aims at correcting the immune dysfunction rather than suppressing exaggerated reactions given by immune system.
Homoeopathic system believes in considering emotional tendencies, thought processes, stress factors of the individual. Homoeopathic treatment is thus found to be highly effective for cases where patients notice the flare up due to psychological stress or when patients trace back the start of lesions to some emotional triggers.
A homoeopathic doctor thus selects the remedy which covers pathology of psoriasis as well as other mental or emotional characteristics of the patient.
Some of the homoeopathic remedies which promptly cover the pathology of psoriasis are Arsenic album, Kali Bromatum, Kali Arsnicum, Thyroidinum, Radium Bromide, Sulphur, Kali Sulph.
Homoeopathy assures a long term relapse free period, as relapse of lesions is very commonly found in patients as soon as they stop with the modern medicine treatment for psoriasis. Homoeopathy can also correct underlying immune disturbances predisposing patient to psoriasis.
Dr Rajesh Shah’s research based homeopathic medicines for Psoriasis have helped hundreds of patients in their treatment of guttate psoriasis. To know more about how your guttate psoriasis can be helped, leave us your contact details below. Alternately, you can get in touch via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (+91-22-66888888) or visit our website (http://www.askdrshah.com/app/psoriasis/)