Are You Suffering Without A Cause? – Learn About Somatoform Disorder
Are you suffering since long, but still the best physician has failed to understand your suffering? Is your suffering not getting traced by any investigations? If yes, you might be suffering from a somatoform disorder. And, if you are wondering what exactly somatoform disorder is, think no further. Keep reading to learn all about it.
What Is Somatoform Disorder?
The word ‘Somatoform’ can be explained as below.
- Soma: The bodies as distinct from the psyche, soul, or mind.
- Form: Configuration, Appearance, Disposition.
The medical definition of somatoform disorder is as below.
The group of psychological disorders manifested with physical complaints, for which no physiological or organic explanation is present and for which there is a strong likelihood of the involvement of the psychological factors.
Key Features of Somatoform Disorder:
Here are some prominent symptoms of somatoform disorder.
- The presence of physical symptoms that suggest a medical condition but that cannot be satisfactorily explained by any such medical condition.
- They are not produced intentionally.
- The illness may coexist with major psychiatric disorders, such as depression or panic.
- The symptoms closely follow traumatic events.
- The symptoms become persistent and dissatisfaction may prevail even with medical care.
We treat patients from the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get an expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.
Types of Somatoform Disorders:
There are various types of somatoform disorders. They are listed below.
- Somatization Disorder: This condition is characterized by many physical complaints and affects many organs.
- Conversion Disorder: It is characterized by one or two neurological complaints.
- Hypochondriasis: Hypochondriasis is characterized by the patient’s belief about having some major disorder without symptoms.
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder: This condition is characterized by a false belief or exaggerated perception that a body part is defective.
- Pain Disorder: It is characterized by the pain that psychological factors exacerbated significantly.
What Are the Causes of Somatoform Disorder?
- Genetic: When close family members, particularly the first-degree relatives are vulnerable to stress, it is observed that their offspring has poor coping strategies towards stress.
- Temperament: People develop different temperaments throughout their life as per the need to deal with the environment. Temperaments, such as Irritable, Melancholic, and Phlegmatic, decide our response to external stimuli.
- Defense Mechanisms (DM): Psyche uses many defense mechanisms to help us live in peace and helps us to reduce anxiety, stress, and sadness. With the increasing stress, the defenses fail to cope up with the stress, which results in emotional vulnerability.
- Trauma: The loss of a parent/close person in childhood may make you suffer from this condition.
- Stress: Stress resulting due to the poor social, family, or work environment may cause the somatoform disorder.
How Can You Cope Up with Somatoform Disorder?
- To find the solution, it is important to figure out and correct the cause of the condition.
- If the environment is causing stress, identify and follow the ways to make your environment healthy.
- 70% of causes are psychological, where maladaptive thought pattern is formed. Rectify the causative thoughts and emotions and adapting an optimistic approach to the cognition may work wonders.
Role of Homeopathy in Treating Psychiatric Illnesses:
Homeopathy deals with the patient as a whole considering the mind, body, and soul aspects of the patient. Hence, when there is an impairment in any of these constituents, derangement takes place in a person.
Homeopathy helps to correct this impairment with no damage to psyche and body and promotes the betterment of life gradually.
Role of Psychotherapy:
Psychotherapy, particularly Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), is utilized in treating the somatoform disorder and psychiatric illnesses. CBT helps to correct the cognition triad – thought about self, world, and the future. Specific techniques, such as relaxation techniques, problem-solving, and breathing techniques, help the patient to overcome the underlying anxiety about the disease.
So, if you happen to experience a somatoform disorder, get in touch with us at Life Force and receive the best homeopathic treatment for it and experience great relief.
Article is very helpful and up to the mark.
keep going and give your best