Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory skin condition with severe itching, scaly flakes, and thick patches on the skin. It can appear mostly on elbows, knees, scalp, hands, and feet. It can also occur on the lower back.
Apart from medicine, diet forms very integral part of the psoriasis treatment. Here we will discuss 10 foods which are a no-no for a psoriasis patient.
- Avoid gluten containing food: Gluten is a component found in wheat, barley, rye etc. it is responsible for giving the dough elasticity. It is found that if patients start taking gluten-free diet i.e. avoid wheat, barley etc from their diet, they get relief from psoriasis.
- Food containing Yeast like bread, pizzas, dhoklas, (a Gujarati delicacy) and burgers should be avoided as yeast is added into above things for making them soft and fluffy. Yeast is known to aggravate psoriasis.
- Anti-inflammatory diet: As psoriasis is an inflammatory condition, a diet which has anti-inflammatory properties can help to reduce it. That means low-fat diets, less of dairy products like full-fat milk, cheese and paneer made from full-fat milk. Patients should also avoid having ice creams and chocolates as they have high-fat contents.
- Red meat: Red meat and beef are known to aggravate psoriasis.
- Alcohol: Alcohol is known to aggravate the conditions. It is known to dehydrate the body and thus worsening the problem.
- Monosodiumglutamate, (MSG): This content is found in processed foods, Chinese preparations, and some pickles also. MSG is known to aggravate psoriasis. So patients with psoriasis should avoid eating Chinese, processed snacks etc.
- The whites: White sugar, white rice and white flour i.e. refined flour or maida should be avoided in psoriasis.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are known to aggravate psoriasis. So eating tomatoes should be avoided.
- Caffeine: People taking excessive tea and coffee are known to develop psoriasis. So caffeine intake should be limited.
- Fried food: Those who have a habit of eating oily and fried stuff excessively are at higher risk of developing psoriasis.
Then what shall I eat?
Omega 3 fatty acids:
Foods like flax seeds, flax seeds oil, some nuts like walnuts contain a high amount of omega 3 fatty acids. The inclusion of this in the diet helps in reduction of psoriasis.
Fish and fish oil:
Studies have proved that daily intake of fish like mackerel, sardine, salmon, and herring have resulted in a benefit in psoriasis.
Fresh fruits and vegetables:
These are of highest importance in the diet. Generally, the dark colored fruits, like cherries, plums, papayas, and vegetables like green leafy ones are good source of antioxidants. They help in reducing inflammation and are of a great help in psoriasis.
Combination of diet and homeopathy in psoriasis
Homeopathy offers very positive results for the treatment of psoriasis. Dr. Rajesh Shah has done extensive research on psoriasis. His wide experience of 30 years offers a great benefit to the suffering patients.
As homeopathy brings cure from within, and it helps in setting right the deranged vital force i.e. immunity of the body, the cure is usually permanent and long-lasting. If you have any query regarding any chronic disease, feel free to contact us. You can give us a call at +91-22-66888888 or drop in an email at email@example.com
Psoriasis Case Photos: Before and After Treatment Pictures of Patients at Life Force