Mouth ulcers, also known as Stomatitis, is an inflammation of the mucous membranes lining the oral cavity or mouth. It is the most common disease affecting the mouth area.
There are two main types of stomatitis. They are mentioned below.
- Canker Sores:
Canker sores are pale white or yellowish in color with a red outer ring. They might be single or multiple and, usually, occur on the inner side of the lips or cheek or on the tongue. They lead to acute, temporary pain. In minor cases, which are the most usual, the ulcers heal within 4 to 14 days. In more severe cases, which account for about 1 in 10 cases of stomatitis, the sores can last up to 6 weeks. Women and youths in their teens and 20s are more likely to experience them. Canker sores can run in families but are not contagious.
- Cold Sores:
Cold sores are known to occur due to the herpes virus (HSV). This condition is also known as herpes stomatitis. Cold sores are very contagious.
5 Most Common Causes Of Mouth Ulcers
Here are some common causes of mouth ulcers.
- Trauma: Trauma, such as an accidental bite of the tongue, inside of the cheek, or lip while eating, can cause mouth ulcers. Ill-fitting dentures or braces too can make you suffer from mouth ulcers.
- Nutritional Deficiencies: Certain nutritional deficiencies may cause mouth ulcers. Deficiency of Vitamin B12 may cause mouth ulcers.
- Stress: Emotional stress including a lack of sleep causes mouth ulcers.
- Digestive Problems: In cases such as that of constipation mouth ulcers are common. Digestive issues may make you experience the discomfort of the mouth ulcers.
- Hormonal Changes: Hormonal changes, particularly the increase in progesterone, that occur during the menstrual cycle, may make some women experience oral changes that can include mouth ulcers.
Homeopathy And Mouth Ulcers:
Treatment for stomatitis will depend on the cause of the condition. And, treating the root cause is important for obtaining relief from stomatitis.
Also Read: Why do I Get Recurrent Mouth Ulcers?
Recurring mouth ulcers can be treated very effectively with homeopathic treatment for mouth ulcers. Depending on the cause of mouth ulcers, the treatment has to be planned and focused to promote an effective and long-lasting recovery from it. So, homeopathic treatment is strongly suggested for all cases of recurring and chronic oral ulcers.
Written by Dr. Shilpa, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah