Dos & Don’ts For Ankylosing Spondylitis
Ankylosing spondylitis is a discomforting condition, which may make you suffer from pain and stiffness. Prolonged pain and stiffness due to it may affect your daily activities and quality of life adversely.
So, you need to follow certain helpful tips to alleviate the pain, stiffness, and other discomfort resulting due to ankylosing spondylitis and avoid certain habits. There are many ways in which you can ease your pain and stiffness caused by Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS).
Certain lifestyle changes can benefit people with this condition and help keep symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis under control. Keep reading to learn all about it.
Below are some Do’s and Don’ts to help you manage AS in a better way.
Do’s For Obtaining Relief From Ankylosing Spondylitis
Here are some helpful tips to alleviate the discomfort resulting due to ankylosing spondylitis.
- Sleep on a firm mattress.
- Keep your back straight.
- Keep a cushion behind your back as a support.
- Be regular with your back-strengthening exercises. This can make a huge difference.
- Relaxation techniques, such as yoga and meditation, can help a lot. So, follow them.
- Follow an anti-inflammatory diet.
- Get enough calcium and Vitamin D.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
We treat patients from USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get an expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.
Don’ts For Obtaining Relief From Ankylosing Spondylitis
Here are some activities and habits which you should avoid to obtain relief from the discomfort resulting due to ankylosing spondylitis.
- Do not make sudden movements of the back.
- Do not use thick pillows while sleeping.
- Do not lift heavy objects.
- Do not jump or run as they might aggravate your symptoms.
- Do not be a Couch Potato
- Do not stick to just one form of exercise. Ask your physiotherapists for variations and combinations, such as stretching, cardiovascular, range of motion and strengthening exercises.
- Don’t drink alcohol.
- Do not eat red meat. Go for other options, such as fish which are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
Also Read: – Tips to Aid Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment
Now that you know these Dos and Don’ts for obtaining relief from ankylosing spondylitis, make sure you follow them and lead a healthy and happy life.
Written by Dr. Krutika, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah
+ There are no commentsAdd yours