8 Healthy Eating Tips to Control Your Diabetes
Are you experiencing increased urination or a sudden weight loss? Is it taking a long time for your wounds to heal? If you nodded along with a concern, you might be suffering from diabetes. It is very important to regulate your diabetes to avoid further complications of it. Healthy eating habits can help you control it. And, if you are wondering what diabetes is, what are its symptoms and complications, and how can you control it with healthy eating, don’t stress yourself further. Discover all about it by reading this article below.
What Is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder which is characterized by an increase in the sugar in the blood.
In the pancreas, the islets of Langerhans promote the production of insulin, which controls the level of sugar in the blood. If there is a lack of insulin, the blood sugar increases, and this condition is known as Diabetes Mellitus.
Insulin helps to maintain your sugar levels in the blood. If the blood sugar level increases, it is known as hyperglycemia. And, if sugar in the blood decreases, this condition is known as hypoglycemia.
Symptoms Of Diabetes:
Here are some common symptoms of diabetes that you must watch out.
- Increased Urination
- Increased thirst
- Increased hunger
- A sudden weight loss
- Sometimes, itching in the skin
- Slow healing wounds
We treat patients from USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get an expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.
Complications Of Diabetes:
If diabetes is not regulated, it may lead to serious health complications. Here are some health complications which may affect a diabetic patient, if diabetes not controlled.
- Myocardial Infarct
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Diabetic foot
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Sometimes insomnia
If you want to control sugar levels in the blood, the best way to manage sugar is eating healthy food. This helps to keep away from medications and sometimes insulin as well. Certain foods help us to maintain optimum sugar level in our blood, keeps us healthy, and prevent us from developing further complications.
Also Read: – Homeopathic Treatment for Diabetes
Some healthy foods to control diabetes are as follows.
- Maintain Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are the sugars or starch which increases your sugar level. You find carbohydrates in different food components, such as sweets, fruit, milk, yogurt, bread, cereal, rice, pasta, potatoes, and some other foods. Increased intake of carbohydrates is directly proportional to an increase in the sugar level. If carbohydrates increase, the sugar level in your blood increases. If carbohydrates decrease, blood sugar level decreases. So, regulating the intake of carbohydrate-rich foods helps you control your diabetes.
- Have Foods High In Fiber: Eating fiber-rich foods help you feel full, satisfy your appetite, and helps in regulating your blood sugar levels. Having fiber-rich foods in your meal helps slow down the increase in the blood sugar after you have your meal. Add fiber-rich foods, such as brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta, whole grain bread, peas, green leafy vegetables, etc. to your diet.
- Minimize Sugar Intake: Reduce the quantity of sugar level in your food rather than avoiding. Reducing sugar intake helps your body to maintain your sugar level within normal limits.
- Have Regular Meals: Make sure you eat your meals regularly, starting with a healthy breakfast, lunch in the afternoon, and dinner at night. Have fruits which are abundant in antioxidants. Never skip your breakfast. There should not be a gap of 2-3 hours between two small meals. Do not eat heavy meals and unhealthy food.
- Avoid Sugar-Rich Foods: Avoid eating cake, donuts, jam, candy, or jelly because it contains a high amount of sugar. Also, these are unhealthy and fatty foods.
- Do not have too much salty food.
- Have Salads In Your Meals: Eating salads regularly helps digest your food properly and also provides a certain amount of proteins and vitamins to your body.
- Add Vegetables To Your Diet: Have raw, roasted, or cooked vegetables because they contain low carbohydrates. You can add mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant, onions, etc. to your regular diet.
Now that you know these healthy eating tips to regulate your blood sugar level, make sure you follow them and keep your diabetes in control.
Written by Dr. Simran Rajput, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah
+ There are no commentsAdd yours