Do you often catch a cold and suffer from the discomfort resulting due to it? Do you want to get rid of the frequently occurring colds? If you nodded along positively, then you need to learn all about cold, its causes, and how homeopathy can help you get relief from it. So, aren’t you curious to learn about prominent causes and risk factors of colds and the role of homeopathy in getting a relief from it? Rest your worries, just scroll down to learn all about it.
Rhinitis (common cold), which is the inflammation of the nasal mucous membrane, affects most of the individuals throughout the world. It is one of the most common conditions evaluated in the outpatient setting as well as it is an important cause of morbidity and economic loss globally.
The common cold occurs due to a number of viruses and bacteria in the environment, and every individual is constantly exposed to it perennially. However, very few of us fall sick due to the changes in our immune system. And, the susceptibility of the affected person gets deranged.
Symptoms of colds commonly include a runny nose, nasal congestion, headache, low-grade fever, sneezing, irritation & itching in the nose, and redness in the eyes.
Causes Of Colds:
There are various causes that can make you suffer from the discomfort due to the cold. Here, we list some of the prominent causes of colds.
- Viruses: Rhinovirus, Parainfluenza Virus, Adenovirus, Respiratory Syncytial Virus, Influenza Virus, Coxsackie viruses, and other viruses.
- Bacteria: Most commonly Streptococcus pyrogens, Streptococcus pneumonia, Haemophilus influenza, Corynebacterium diphtheriae, Bordetella pertussis, and Bacillus anthracis
- Environmental conditions: sudden change of weather, overcrowding, closed room, a draft of air, humid weather, monsoons, and other possible conditions.
- Allergens- Food, Drinks, pollen, pollution, dust, and mites
- Low immunity
- Genetic tendency
Common Risk Factors Of Colds:
Certain risk factors that can make you catch a cold and suffer from its discomfort are as listed below.
- Poor handwashing after coming in contact with an individual affected with an upper respiratory infection.
- Contact with groups of individuals in a closed setting, such as traveling, tours, and cruises.
- Smoking (may impair mucosal resistance and destroy the cilia)
- Immuno-compromised states (compromised immune system) such as HIV, organ transplant, congenital immune defects, and a long-term steroid use
Homeopathic medicines are supposed to be working at the immune level, whereby the enhancement of your immunity helps prevent the occurrence of frequent colds to a great extent.
In Homoeopathic treatment, the emphasis is not just on the organism that causes upper respiratory tract infection i.e. colds but also on the individual receptivity to that organism.
Homeopathic medicines are believed to address the genetic predisposition and enhance the resistance making the patient less susceptible to the allergens, infections, and the environment.
So, if you happen to catch a cold any time or wish to prevent the frequent occurrence of colds, count on homeopathy. Consult an expert, experienced homeopath to boost your immunity and alleviate your cold and lead a happy and healthy life.
– Written by Dr. Karishma, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah
Are you suffering from the cold as well?