Social media constitutes websites & applications which allow one to share the content or information about anything quickly and efficiently. Over the years, it has grown tremendously. Although it has brought a lot of advantages to society by connecting people, creating awareness, and giving information, it has also affected the society negatively. Social media may affect all age groups, particularly the teenagers & younger generation. But, that does not mean that the older generation is spared. Social media can cause addiction affecting the grown-ups, as the senior citizens may fall prey to it.
One of the biggest drawbacks of social media is that, although one may have plenty of electronic connections with several people, they fail to connect with their peers in person. This may lead to depression, as these electronic connections are not emotionally satisfying. One tends to feel isolated socially.
The following may be the reasons for the rise in depression among social media users who use social media excessively:
- Comparing one’s self: A lot of youngsters may compare their physique to artfully curved or photo-shopped bodies of celebrities or more popular people on social media, and this can lead to lowered self-esteem resulting in depressed feelings.
- Less time for physical activity: As today’s generation spends a lot of time on social media, they end up spending less time on physical activity as they turn very addictive to accessing social media.
- Sleep deprivation: Excessive use of social media can lead to sleep deprivation. We would come across a lot of people who have developed the habit of sleeping late at night as they are addicted to social media a lot.
- FOMO: Some of them may even develop FOMO- This is ‘fear of missing out’ which makes them check the updates on Facebook, Instagram, and other social media applications. To avoid missing out on some updates, people prefer to be constantly on social media, which consumes a lot of their time, thereby making them inattentive and causing a lack of concentration in their work.
How To Combat Depression Due To Social Media?
Here are some steps that we can follow to ensure a balance between the health & social media and avoid or combat the depression resulting due to excessive use of social media.
- Limited usage: Try to limit the usage of phone & social media.
- Turn off notifications: Notifications may interrupt your daily routine so it is better to turn them off.
- Socialize personally: Spend quality time with your family & friends in person.
- No smartphones in bed: Do not use the phone at least 1 hour before your sleeping time.
- Observe the first signs of depression: If you find any teen, youngster, or an adult with a lowered self-esteem or confidence, this may be the first sign of depression. Try to help them.
How Can Homeopathy Help Treat The Depression Due To Social Media?
Apart from following the steps that are mentioned above, one can opt for homeopathy to treat depression. Homeopathy helps wonderfully in treating the early cases of depression. The medicines in this system are not prescribed based on the diagnosis of the disease that the patient is suffering from, instead, the prescription depends on the symptoms the patient has been experiencing.
Homeopathy can take care of the varied symptoms, such as anxiety, mood swings, a lack of concentration, lowered confidence or self-esteem, weeping tendencies, sleeplessness, etc. Homeopathic medicines do not have any side-effects, unlike conventional antidepressants or anxiolytics. The results of the treatment can be enhanced by the support of counseling.
If you see any of your kids with the warning signs of depression, take them seriously, guide them to follow the right ways to change their habits related to the use of social media. Do not hesitate to take the help of a counselor or a doctor.
- Written by Dr. Chetali, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah