Kidney stones, also known as renal calculi, present with one of the most excruciating & debilitating pains to a complete asymptomatic presence.
The change in the color of the urine, dull pain over the loins or loin to the groin, burning while urinating or at the end of it, & vomiting or loose motions along with these discomforts are common signs of the kidney stone. So, if you happen to experience any of these symptoms, do not ignore them. Visit a doctor as soon as possible. It is a recurring condition, so, even if it is treated once, it may occur after a gap.
This blog will throw some light on the queries concerned with kidney stones. Keep reading to learn all about it.
What Are Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones are formed of the minerals in the urine, most commonly due to the deposition of calcium, oxalate, uric acid, & a rare component called cysteine in the kidneys, ureters, bladder, or urethra, when the metabolic wastes are not excreted properly.
Causes of Kidney Stones:
There are many causes of kidney stones
- Inadequate water intake: This is one of the common causes of kidney stones. Insufficient or less intake of water leads to an increased concentration & acidity of the urine,
- High protein & high sodium diet: High intake of protein reduces the amount of citrate, which is a crucial chemical in your urine which helps prevent the formation of stones. And, this can lead to a kidney stone. Eating foods that are high in sodium can increase the calcium in your urine resulting in renal calculi.
- An underlying kidney disease: Kidney stone can also occur due to or indicate underlying kidney disease.
Types Of Kidney Stones:
- Calcium Oxalate Stones
Calcium Oxalate Stones are known to be the most common type of kidney stones. One of the most common causes of the formation of this type of stones is the dietary intake of food substances containing calcium & oxalate & the improper metabolism of these substances in the body.
- Uric Acid Stones
Uric acid stones are observed mostly in non-vegetarians. Improper protein metabolism leads to Uric acid stones. Most often, they are seen in males.
- Struvite Stones
Struvite stones are formed due to the alkaline pH of the urine because of the underlying bacterial infection in the urinary system. Most often, they are seen in females.
- Cystine Stones
Cystine stones are rare forms of kidney stones, and they are caused due to a rare genetic disorder of cystine transport in the body.
Symptoms Of Kidney Stones:
Here are some of the common symptoms of kidney stones which you should be aware of
- Burning micturition.
- Blood in the urine.
- Pain in the loin or loin to groin depending on the position & movement of the stone.
- Colicky excruciating pain.
- Change in the color of the urine to dark yellow or other variation, depending on the sediments or infection in the urinary tract.
- Frequent urge to urinate but ending up passing a small quantity of urine.
- Pain in the back or sides, groin, or the lower abdomen.
- Fever in case of infection in the urinary tract
Dietary Precautions To Follow To Avoid Kidney Stones:
Here are some dietary precautions which you should follow to prevent kidney stones.
- Adequate water intake of up to 2 liters of water a day for adults. It may vary in the summer & also when there occurs a water loss in the body.
- Alcohol should be avoided, as it causes more dehydration in the body.
- Animal protein in the diet should be limited or reduced. Vegan protein is the alternative.
- Reduction in intake of potato chips, peanuts, chocolates, spinach, beetroot, and foods that are rich in oxalates.
- Calcium is important, but high calcium intake should also be checked.
- Follow a low-sodium diet. Reduce the consumption of the packaged food, & ensure less salt intake.
Investigations For Kidney Stones:
Here are some diagnostic tests which can help you diagnose the occurrence of kidney stone.
- X-Ray KUB (Kidney Ureter Bladder)
- USG (Abdomen- Pelvis)
- Urine Examination (Routine & Microscopic)
Treatment For Kidney Stones:
- Conventional Treatment (Cannot prevent recurrence)
Conventional mode of medicine includes various treatments for kidney stones. Find them listed below.
- Laparoscopic surgery is recommended to remove the kidney stone, particularly the large renal calculi.
- Lithotripsy/Laser treatment is used to break down the stone into small parts so they can pass out of the body.
- Antibiotics are used to control the infection in the urinary tract.
- Medicines are prescribed to control the burning micturition.
- The use of diuretics helps to increase the urine output & also helps the stone to pass out of the body.
- Intravenous fluid administration helps to flush out the kidney stone, in case of small calculi.
- Homeopathic Treatment For Kidney Stones
- Homeopathic treatment corrects the root cause of the formation of kidney stones in the body as well as prevents the recurrence of the same within a few years of the treatment, depending on the severity.
- The metabolic, genetic, and lifestyle disorder or any other underlying kidney disease resulting in kidney stones can be effectively treated with Homeopathic medicines.
- With homeopathic treatment for kidney stones, the relief in symptoms is significant without any side-effects or dependency on any medicines.
Life Force Homeopathy headed by Dr. Rajesh Shah M.D. is one of the best clinics treating renal calculi & other chronic recurring diseases with his highly advanced research-based medicines.
So, if any time you happen to suffer from a kidney stone, get in touch with us at Life Force without a second thought and receive the best homeopathic treatment for kidney stones.
- Written by Dr. Aditya Atholi, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah, M.D.