Are you experiencing difficulty in falling or staying asleep persistently? Are you sleepy and tired in the daytime? Do you want to get rid of constant thoughts that do not allow you to concentrate or fall asleep? If yes, you might be suffering from insomnia. If you are wondering how to get rid of your sleeplessness, keep reading to learn the solutions to deal with your insomnia by following all mentioned tips and homeopathic approach towards it.
What Does Insomnia Means?
Insomnia is a sleep disorder with one or two of the symptoms below.
- Difficulty in falling asleep
- Wakes up often at night and experiences trouble falling asleep again
- Wakes up with unrefreshing sleep and tiredness
- Wakes up too early in the morning
What Are the Main Causes of Insomnia?
- Emotional or psychological causes including grief, anger, and worry
- Bipolar disorder
What Are the Different Types of Insomnia?
There are two types of insomnia, namely primary and secondary insomnia.
Primary insomnia: It is the condition in which sleep problems are not directly caused by other health conditions or problems.
Secondary insomnia: It is the type of insomnia resulting due to any medical conditions, such as depression, asthma, menopause, cardiovascular complications acidity, cancer, arthritis, back pain, etc., or due to overindulgence of caffeine or alcohol, nicotine, etc.
- Acute Insomnia:
Acute insomnia is the short-term sleeplessness that comes and goes with time when a person has no sleep problems. It can last for one night to a few weeks.
- Chronic Insomnia:
Chronic insomnia can last for a long time. It can last at least three nights a week for a month or longer.
Symptoms of Insomnia are:
- Sleepless nights
- Feeling sleepy during the day time
- Restlessness at night
- Mood changes
- Interference with your daily work
- Finding it harder to concentrate or remember things
Helpful Tips for Insomnia:
Here are some helpful tips to beat insomnia.
- Avoid the prolonged use of phones or other devices.
- Mindful breathing and meditation can help you regain deep sleep.
- Avoid overindulgence of tea, coffee, alcohol, and nicotine. It causes waking at night and interfere with sleep quality.
- Avoid late-night reading
- Be in routine to relax before sleep
- Don’t eat a heavy meal before bedtime
- Do regular exercise, but do not exercise at least before 4 hours before bedtime.
- Make sure that your bedroom is comfortable, dark with normal room temperature.
Homeopathic Approach for Insomnia:
- Nux vomica: Sleeplessness at 3 am associated with gastrointestinal disturbances due to an overindulgence of food, tobacco, and alcohol, irritability due to stomach upset, and insomnia in the middle of the night indicate Nux Vomica.
- Coffea cruda: Overactive thought, difficulty in falling asleep due to continuous thoughts while sleeping, hypersensitivity to pain, and worries and anxiety indicate this homeopathic remedy. Coffea cruda patients are timid, dull, and slow who get tired easily and experience sleeplessness due to excessive pain.
- Staphysagria: This homeopathic remedy helps you have relief in sleeplessness and irritability which results due to long-lasting grief, suppressed anger, or vexation.
- Sulfur: Insomnia resulting due to skin problems, itching, and irritation, feeling the heat on the bed, particularly on the feet, indicate Sulphur. The patient, who won’t cover his feet while sleeping and feel highly anxious and sleeplessness after midnight between 2-5 a.m., may need Sulphur.
- Silicea: People with a nervous constitution with low stamina who easily get tired, experience sleepwalk frequently, get anxious dreams, and awakens suddenly with fright may find Silicea beneficial.
- Zincum metallicum: Insomnia resulting due to mental activity and when the patient is inclined towards nervousness and experiences restlessness in legs and arms, Zincum metallicum is recommended.
- Lycopodium: Insomnia resulting due to lack of confidence and worry indicate Lycopodium. When the patient’s sleep is disturbed because of digestive troubles, drowsiness occurs drowsy after meals, and when the patient experiences ravenous hunger in the night, stomach upset or hunger makes him wake up, this homeopathic remedy is recommended.
- Kali phos: When sleeplessness and headache result due to mental overexertion, Kali phos is indicated. When the patient overthinks or gets too excited over something and experiences muscle twitches when trying to fall asleep, this medicine may help.
- Ignatia: Insomnia resulting due to being emotionally upset and disappointment in love, shock, or argument indicate Ignatia. When the person is highly sensitive, nervous, and emotional, yawn in the daytime, experiences twitching in the arms and legs at night in bed while sleeping and troubling nightmares, this homeopathic remedy may help.
- Cocculus: When the patient says, “Feels too tired to sleep”, and suffers from chronic insomnia, a disturbed work-schedule, weakness, and dizziness, and experiences long-lasting worries and grief, Cocculus may help.
- Cypripedium: When a person cannot sleep because the brain is occupied with continuous thoughts and ideas, Cypripedium is recommended. It wonderfully acts on babies who wake up in the mid of the night and start playing.
- Sencio: This homeopathic remedy is indicated for sleeping disorder and suited well in case of sleeplessness along with uterine prolapse.
- Causticum: When the person is unable to rest in a fixed posture, finds sleeping posture is always hard and experiences sleeplessness at night due to dry heat condition, Causticum is recommended.
- Ferrum Met: Ferrum Met is indicated when the patient sleeps only on changing the sleeping position.
- Muriatic acid: When the patient is unable to sleep despite feeling sleepy, tosses about while sleeping, and gets restless, Muriatic acid is recommended.
- Mag Carb: Insomnia resulting due to abdominal disorder, great fear, nervous patients, and sleeplessness from flatus indicate Mag Carb.
- Arnica Montana: When the patient cannot sleep due to both mental and physical overexertion, Arnica Montana may help him/her have a refreshing sleep.
Now as you know all about insomnia, try to follow all the above tips and treat yourself with homeopathy for long-lasting relief without much thinking. Homeopathy treats insomnia naturally, and homeopathic remedies are strongly recommended for every kind of sleeping disorder.
- Written by Dr. Jyoti K., Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah