Whenever we think about the winter, low temperature with cold, dry winds, woolen clothes, a bowl of hot soup, tea, coffee, and a variety of mouth-watering foods is all that comes to our mind. However, the cold season of winter is also a triggering factor for many skin complaints. Today, we are talking about one of the complicated skin diseases i.e. Psoriasis and how it’s related to the winter season.
What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a type of skin disease in which red, dry, silver scaly eruptions develop on different parts of the body. Itching, burning sensation, cracks, and bleeding after scratching the itchy skin are a few common symptoms of this condition.
Winter is weather with low temperature, less sunlight, and dry cold winds. This cold season always reduces the moisture from our skin. A lack of moisture causes dryness and scaling of the skin and this triggers Psoriasis. However, following some simple tips can help prevent a relapse of psoriasis or alleviate the skin discomforts. Let’s have a look at them
7 Helpful Tips To Protect Your Skin From Psoriasis In The Winter:
Here are some simple yet effective tips to protect your skin from psoriasis in the winter season.
- Keep your skin moist by using moisturizer 2-3 times in a day as per your body requirement. Also, you can use coconut oil, olive oil, and Vaseline petroleum jelly as a moisturizer by applying them on your skin.
- Avoid exposure to the cold dry winds.
- Use a humidifier at your home that can help keep the air in your house moist.
- Try to avoid direct skin contact with the woolen cloths.
- Have hot soup and hot foods to keep you warm in the winter.
- Take a hot shower to keep you warm. However, a prolonged hot shower can remove the body moisture & make your skin turn dry. Hence, avoid having a very hot shower of long duration.
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Follow the restricted diet recommended by your doctor for combating psoriasis.
Following all the above tips and regular exercise are quite helpful to avoid the triggers of Psoriasis and safeguard your skin in the winter. So, make sure you inculcate these healthy tips in your routine during the cold months of the year.
If you have any queries regarding any chronic disease, feel free to contact us. You can give us a call at +91-22-66888888 or drop in an email at email@example.com