Ankylosing spondylitis is one of the major health concerns which most individuals worldwide suffer these days. Inflammation of the spinal joints and other joints of the body occurs due to this condition making it uncomfortable for you to carry out your routine activities smoothly. Moreover, the pain resulting due to it is a major concern. So, you might be curious to learn more about ankylosing spondylitis, aren’t you? Read on to discover some important facts about this concerning condition.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) is one of many forms of chronic inflammatory and degenerative arthritis which affects the spine adversely.
- In Hindi, Ankylosing Spondylitis is widely known as ‘achalatakarak kasherukashoth’. In Marathi, this condition is called as ‘akyanna aleli suja’ in Marathi. Often, ankylosing spondylitis is called as bamboo spine because in this unpleasant condition the spine tends to turn stiff like a bamboo.
- This condition is more common in males as compared to that in the females. Usually, it occurs in the individuals between 16 and 40 years of the age.
- The majority of people with Ankylosing spondylitis are known to possess a gene called HLA-B27. However, the presence of HLA-B27 (Human Leukocyte Antigen B27) is not absolutely diagnostic of AS.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis may affect various other joints, such as knees, hips, shoulders, ribs, and feet, and it is not alone restricted to the spine. This discomforting condition may spread to various other body parts, such as eyes, lungs, and heart, indirectly, leading to associated health concerns.
- The most significant symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis are the pain in the lower back, painful stiffness, and immobility of back.
- If you happen to suffer from ankylosing spondylitis, be aware of the signs and symptoms of uveitis (An inflammation of the middle layer of the eye). Usually, it affects one eye at a time, but it can also affect both the eyes.
- Smoking Can Be Fatal: Smoking can prove to be fatal for the patient of ankylosing spondylitis. So, it is important for ankylosing spondylitis to quit smoking, as the disease causes a difficulty in breathing and smoking tends to make the condition worse for the patient.
- Severe ankylosing spondylitis may affect the quality of life adversely by causing disability and health issues, and further leading to the loss of profession or retirement.
- Manageable But Not Curable: Ankylosing spondylitis is known to be a lifelong disorder which may not be cured. However, this condition can be managed effectively by analyzing its prolonged effects properly and working on its symptoms which can be effectively treated with various available treatment options, such as homeopathy, physiotherapy, allopathy, and other treatment options.
- In most cases of ankylosing spondylitis, the conventional mode of treatment alone is not enough. Homeopathic medication is strongly suggested for a better control and long-term management. of ankylosing spondylitis.
Now that you are aware of these important facts about ankylosing spondylitis, make sure you take the right care and choose homeopathy if you happen to suffer from this condition. Have a great relief successfully and safely with homeopathy treatment and lead a happy and healthy life.
– Written by Dr. Khushbunnisa, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah