It may sound strange that acne may bother many in the winters too. But, it is true! People do suffer from the outbursts of acne in the cold weather.
One of the main reasons for the occurrence of acne during the winter is the dehydrated skin due to the cold wind, lower humidity in the atmosphere, and less consumption of water.
Chilly winter winds may strip your skin of its natural surface lipids, which act as barriers to hold in the moisture and keep the dirt and other environmental toxins out.
Here are a few tips to deal with the acne:
- Clean Your Face: Wash your face with water at least four times a day, as the air is full of loose dust particles.
- Moisturize Your Skin: Make sure you moisturize the skin daily in the winter. Use coconut oil or olive oil to retain the moisture. One may even use petroleum jelly, Vaseline, or aloe vera gel to moisturize the skin.
- Hydrate Your Skin: Hydrate your skin naturally by drinking at least 2-3 liters of water.
- Avoid Over-Scrubbing: Do not scrub your skin daily, as it can further dry your skin up as the natural moisture of skin is lost due to scrubbing.
- Avoid Skin Irritants: Avoid using the perfumes highly loaded with fragrance, as these tend to irritate the dry skin.
- Exercise: Exercise as it warms your body and pumps the oxygen, which is necessary for the skin.
- Bedding: Change the pillow cover regularly during the winters, as there might be dandruff on the pillowcase which may, in turn, aggravate the acne problem.
Also Read: 10 best foods for Acne
- Have Sound Sleep: Get a good refreshing sleep of 7-8 hours. A good and continuous sleep at night maintains a glowing skin.
- Say No To Topical Ointments: Limit the use of topical acne treatments, as they may lead to more acne since they turn the skin dry.
- Avoid Dairy: People who have a tendency to develop acne must have noticed that eating dairy products worsens their acne. So, a dairy-free diet is recommended.
- Avoid Fatty & Fried Foods: Eating fatty, fried foods and diet with high glycemic index may worsen the acne. So, it would be best to avoid these.
- Homeopathic Remedies: There are many homeopathic medicines, such as Psorinum, Hepar sulph, Kali brom, Sulphur, Silicea, Nat Mur, and Arsenic album, which may be very effective in treating acne. But, it is very important that they should be consumed only after consulting a homeopathic doctor.
So, follow these helpful tips to get rid of acne and enjoy the wonderful season of winter by staying healthy and happy.