Do you find bunches of hair strands entangled in your comb, on your bathroom drain while you wash your hair, or on your pillow regularly? Are you worried when you see your hair in the mirror daily since they were never like this before? Do you see your scalp more than your hair in some areas (patchy hair loss) in recent times? If this is the chronology that has been followed by your hair from days together, you are possibly suffering from an autoimmune disease called alopecia areata.
The hair follows a growth cycle in three phases. During the growth phase, a hair loss of about 50 to 80 strands per day is considered normal. But, if it exceeds this limit, it is a matter of concern and you may get worried. It means that the time has come to see a doctor now.
Alopecia areata is the most common forms of patchy hair loss which may occur not only on the scalp but also on other areas of your body. When bald spots on the scalp develop, it is called as alopecia areata. Another variety of alopecia is alopecia totalis, where there is a complete loss of hair on the scalp. A complete loss of hair on the body including the eyelashes, eyebrows, armpits, private parts, and other areas of the body is known as alopecia universalis.
So, now the million-dollar question is ‘Will your hair grow back if you have alopecia?’. Well, this may vary from individual to individual. Since each case of alopecia is different, everyone would need an individualistic treatment depending upon the type of alopecia, causative factors, constitution, genetic history, the presence or absence of any underlying disease, and the overall immune status. In alopecia, the immune system is mistakenly attacked by one’s own cells. Here the hair roots are targeted which leads to the formation of a bald spot which may develop slowly or rapidly that may be single or multiple in numbers. When one notices a bald spot or is experiencing a hair loss as discussed earlier, one should seek expert medical advice since it might be the beginning of this condition. The earlier you intervene, the better it is to get yourself treated. Talking about the intervention and treatment, homeopathy is by far the best and safest option in comparison to the other modes of treatment.
There are definite chances that your hair will grow back if,
- The bald spots are noticed early and diagnosed promptly by your doctor
- The bald spots are small and a few in number
- The hair loss is slow and gradual
- There is no history of any underlying disease
- There is no genetic history of any autoimmune disease like alopecia
- You are young, active, and lie in between 0 to 30 years of age since young individuals respond better than older people
- Deficiencies like iron, vitamin B12 are ruled out
- Dietary supplementation is taken care of very well.
Also Read: How To Prevent Traction Alopecia
There are fewer chances that your hair will grow back if,
- You are diagnosed having traction alopecia, alopecia totalis, or alopecia universalis
- There are large and multiple patches
- There is a rapid hair loss, especially from the eyelashes, eyebrows, beard, and private parts
- You have an underlying autoimmune disease like an underactive thyroid, vitiligo (white patches), diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, anemia, etc.
- There is a strong family history of alopecia or any other major disease unlike alopecia
- You are on heavy medications like immunosuppressants for some other conditions
- There is an exposure to radiotherapy or chemotherapy
- You have deficiencies like iron, protein, and vitamin B12
- You are following a poor diet and lifestyle
- Middle and advanced age
Your hair may not regrow if,
- You are diagnosed with scarred alopecia
- Hair loss is following any injury or burn on the skin including the scalp
It is important to note that the duration of the treatment will depend upon the underlying cause and severity of the condition. Some individuals might respond early to the homeopathic treatment, whereas a few may have a delayed response. Some may have a complete or a partial hair regrowth. Homeopathic treatment for alopecia aims at controlling the further spread of disease and enhancing one’s immune system to such a level which itself can alleviate the disease condition. Homeopathic medicines stimulate the body’s natural healing capacity and treat the individual as a whole without any side-effects.
It is also important for you to know that alopecia areata is a chronic, recurring autoimmune condition. Hence, even after a complete recovery, one might experience a relapse of the disease in the future. However, the intensity of the relapse might be less and the condition would be easily manageable. In order to prevent a relapse, one’s immunity should be at par. This is possible through regular annual body check-ups, leading an active lifestyle, following a healthy diet, ensuring adequate sleep and hydration, and most importantly being happy and content in life. Well, this might sound a lot of compulsory advice which might be difficult to follow, but following at least 50%-60% of these tips will get the job done. Remember, alopecia is not a life-threatening disease nor it harms your body in any way, but it might be a cause of social concern for many individuals. In today’s world, where everyone likes to be presentable, alopecia areata becomes a definite cause for embarrassment publicly and one always tends to be conscious about his image.
But, with homeopathy, there is always a hope of the recovery from alopecia. Do not panic if you are suffering from hair loss or balding since there are conditions which might mimic alopecia. Your doctor just might end up diagnosing the condition as seasonal hair fall which does not usually need treatment, female or male pattern baldness which is only controllable or some other conditions you need not worry about. So, make hay when homeopathy is at your rescue.
If you or your near and dear ones are suffering from alopecia, do let us know in the section below. We would be happy to help you if you have any queries related to alopecia. Do get in touch with Dr. Rajesh Shah’s associate doctors at Life Force Homeopathy. You may also write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at +91-22-66888888.
– Written by Kanchan, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah