Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disease which affects the skin of the affected individual adversely. It occurs when the skin cells quickly rise from below the surface of your skin and pile up before they have a chance to mature. Psoriatic treatment can alleviate your discomfort to a great extent. However, following certain dos and don’ts for the best psoriatic treatment can help you obtain an effective and long-lasting relief from this skin condition.
Following are some Dos & Don’ts for the best psoriasis treatment to obtain a great relief from the discomfort resulting due to psoriasis.
Do’s To Follow For The Best Psoriasis Treatment:
- Do Consult A Good Doctor: The most important factor to consider when dealing with psoriasis is opting for the advice and guidance of a good knowledgeable doctor. Psoriasis patients should immediately contact experienced physicians for the proper guideline and instructions. More we delay the treatment, more difficult and time-consuming will be the progress or recovery.
- Do Expose To Sunlight: The ultraviolet (UV) rays coming from the sunlight can slow the growth of your skin cells. So, small doses of the sun can be a good way to soothe, improve, and even heal your psoriasis. Try getting some sun two or three times a week and use sunscreen on your healthy skin.
- Do Use Moisturizers: The use of moisturizer is a vital part of the psoriasis treatment, regardless of the kind of medicines that you use as primary therapy. Excessive scaling and dryness of skin, flaking, and itching can be alleviated with moisturizer.
- Do Follow A Right Diet: As such, psoriasis is not a dietary disease. However, it is noticed that certain unhealthy foods can affect your general health, and particularly psoriatic condition, adversely Eliminating fatty foods, dairy products, processed foods, and artificially flavored foods can help treat psoriasis symptomatically. Omega-3 rich foods, such as flax seeds, olive oil, pumpkin seeds and walnuts, are beneficial along with the psoriasis treatment.
Don’ts To Follow For The Best Psoriasis Treatment:
- Don’t Scratch Violently: Naturally, without a doubt, when you itch, you want to scratch. But, scratching can tear open your skin, making a way for infection-causing germs. Also, it may cause the development of the sores on your body areas where there weren’t any sores before. Make sure that you maintain your nails short. When you feel an urge to scratch, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and rub on a good moisturizer gently on the affected areas.
- Don’t Stress Out: The daily stress, worries, and tensions of life can have a negative impact on anyone, but they’re particularly problematic for individuals with psoriasis. Your body tends to react to stress with an inflammatory reaction. This response to stress can lead to a psoriasis flare-up. So, it is crucial to minimize the amount of stress and tensions in your life as much as you can. You can practice yoga and meditation regularly in order to reduce your stress and get a relief.
- Don’t Smoke Or Drink: Smoking and drinking alcohol can indirectly affect your immunity, which can trigger the flares. Talk to your doctor to help you decide the best way to quit these bad habits of smoking and drinking.
- Don’t Be So Harsh With Your Skin: Make sure that the soap you use is not too dry and harsh for your skin. Harsh soap will dry and irritate your skin making you suffer from itching. Also, excess brushing will irritate the lesions on the scalp leading to itchiness and burning. So, you should avoid brushing your scalp too much in scalp psoriasis.
Now that you know these dos and don’ts for the best psoriasis treatment, make sure you follow all of them to obtain an effective relief from the discomfort of psoriasis.
-Written by Dr. Khushbunnisa, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah