Women today lead a very hectic life, maintaining a perfect balance between professional and personal front. But amidst the hustle and bustle of life, they tend to ignore the “Me-time”, overlooking the trivial signs that your body gives to indicate that something is not going right.
Fibroadenoma is one of the leading diseases in the women in their reproductive age. Today’s blog will enlighten women regarding all the necessary information that they should know about Fibroadenoma (a benign, non-cancerous tumor in the breast). Read ahead to know more and spread the knowledge.
- Fibroadenoma is a very common benign condition affecting the breasts, especially the women in the reproductive age, mostly affecting in the age of 20-40.
- Up to 1 in 6 women have fibroadenomas once in their reproductive life; with peak incidence in the age group of 20-40 and less than 5% occurrence in women above 50 years.
- Early detection is important – Be aware about the signs and symptoms. Make it a habit to examine your breasts once in 6 to 8 months to check for any lump or new development.
- Best time to examine your breasts is immediately after your menstrual cycles.
- Signs and symptoms include :
- Single or multiple lumps in any one or both the breasts
- The lump may be mobile.
- Usually painless; however mild pain may be felt especially during ovulation and before menses, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
- The size of the lump may vary from too small to be felt upto 3 inches (8cms) in diameter.
- Feel of the lump – may be rubbery, smooth or hard but different from the rest of the breast tissue.
The risk factors include:
- Women in age group of 20-40.
- Women who are on hormone replacement therapy, oestrogen therapy.
- Women on oral contraceptives, especially when consumed before the age of 20.
- During pregnancy, breast feeding.
- Family history of Fibroadenoma.
- Cause: Not known. But high estrogen levels in the body are known to trigger the disease condition.
- Avoid taking oral contraceptives and hormonal treatment over a long period of time.
- Simple Fibroadenoma DOES NOT increase your chance of getting Breast Cancer in future; however, research suggests that presence of complex or multiple fibroadenomas are likely to increase risk of breast cancer in the body.
- Differentiating between breast cancer and fibroadenoma: Fibroadenoma is usually mobile, with well defined margins, painless, unlike breast cancer, but biopsy of the tissue would be confirmatory.
- Diagnosis of Fibroadenoma is done by physical examination, mammogram, sonography and biopsy is confirmatory.
[box type=”info” ]Get expert opinion from our doctors about your ailment. Just send your query here.[/box]
Diet for Fibroadenoma :
- Cut down on intake of food which has estrogen producing capability – eg Soy, milk products.
- Avoid non vegetarian food or reduce the amount and frequency of its intake.
- Include more of vegetables and fruits in your diet which will increase the alkaline pH in the body.
- Avoid deep fried, fatty food and processed food – they are harmful and contain tumor producing carcinogens.
- Remove acidic food from your diet – eg coke, alcohol, non veg, refined flour, etc.
- Eliminate all caffeine from your diet – i.e. Coffee, tea, chocolate, energy drinks containing caffeine, etc.
- Vitamin E supplements can play a supportive role in Fibroadenoma.
When to contact your doctor :
Visit your physician immediately if you discover any lump while self – examining your breasts. But certain caution is required if you are already diagnosed of Fibroadenoma. Do not ignore any of the following signs:
- Pain and discomfort in the lump.
- Rapid increase in size of the lump.
- Nipple discharge or any abnormal changes in nipple.
- Dimpled or wrinkled skin on your breast.
- Bruising on your breast without any causative factor.
- Sudden weight loss/loss of appetite.
[box type=”info” ]30+ years of expertise. 180+ countries like UK, USA, Australia, Canada, UAE & more served. Ask your question to Dr. Shah’s team directly & get expert opinion on your ailment![/box]
How Homeopathy can help you :
- Homeopathy is strongly suggested for Fibroadenoma. Homeopathic medicines have the capacity to regularize the abnormal levels of estrogen which are known to cause Fibroadenoma.
- Mild to moderate cases respond very well to homeopathy. In severe cases, Homeopathy can be a good supportive line of treatment.
- You can be saved from an unnecessary surgery and a permanent scar with the help of Homeopathy.
- Recurrence of fibroadenoma can be prevented with constitutional approach.
- Recently diagnosed and singular fibroadenoma cases respond much better and quicker to Homeopathy.
- Commonly indicated medicines for Fibroadenoma are Calcarea carb, Phytolacca, Conium, etc. depending on the individuality of the patient suffering from Fibroadenoma.
-Blog written by Dr Amrita Utekar
[box type=”note” ]Got question? Ask about your ailment directly to Dr. Shah. Just send your query here.[/box]